NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Pain Relief Ads (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/1127-pain-relief-ads.html)

Cervie Barb 09-19-2006 12:33 PM

Pain Relief Ads

Maybe I'm just cranky lately, but these ads are starting to make me angry. I saw one yesterday that portrays a "baby boomer" who is not going to let pain slow her down, and that the two alev- she takes in the morning puts her right in top form.

The others talk of horrible arthritis pain (including RA) which made it impossible to walk or sit up and take nurishment until they took two little OTC meds.

Now, I'm not saying I'm losing sleep over this, but I think it does a disservice to those of us with pain that laughs at OTC meds.

Anyone else have a Pet Peeve this week? lol.

buriedinbooks 09-19-2006 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cervie Barb (Post 8664)
Maybe I'm just cranky lately, but these ads are starting to make me angry. ...Anyone else have a Pet Peeve this week? lol.

CB...I'm with you! And I find that people who never had serious pain/conditions actually seem to believe these claims. AND the "TV patients" using these products are beautiful, svelte, well-dressed and live in perfect houses. (They should film me in an ultra pain flare when I am thrilled just to be able to pull on sweats and lift my arms up to put the clip in my hair! AND that's after the relief from meds) :eek:

I think some of these same people also believe that all doctors have an answer to whatever ails them. Can you imagine going into the emergency room and finding a team like Dr. House and his pals with the ability to detect and cure the most obscure malady. Practitioners who have the time, access, and skills to perform any test on demand. (With no payment from the patient) LOL

I suppose the good fortune is that most people won't experience spinal disorders or chronic pain from autoimmune diseases.

The ads from the BIG Pharma companies also make it seem that all treatments are affordable to everyone. Can't pay...just give 'em a call and they'll send it your way. And REALLY --- why should one treatment (such as RA injections or infusions) cost thousands a year...okay I will calm down now....thanks for letting me vent!

Healing hugs, Carly

snoozie 09-19-2006 04:12 PM

Did any of you see that report on Dateline the other day. They had made up a product that was nothing more than choc milk mix and put it in a capsule. It was supposed to moisturize your skin from the inside out. It was pretty funny but also showed how easily we can be fooled by their "doctors" when they are endorsing a product. They even caught the doc, who was a dermatologist, lying about using the product. Money talks my friends and unfortunately we get the losing end of it...Sue

slogo 09-19-2006 07:18 PM

Those ads make me barf! I get so very angry over them too. I'd eat a bottle of Alieve if I thought it would help. NOT! :mad:

GJZH 09-19-2006 10:25 PM

When I first started with pain from spinal problems my pcp prescribed Ibuprofen 800mgs every four hours, not to exceed whatever in 24 hours.... I had just returned to working and had to attend an all day meeting. The chairs that I had to sit in had a rounded bottom with no support for the spine or back. I was in complete agony and was taking one of those pills every hour or so...At the end of the day I had to call my husband to come get me. I had to have help to walk to my car and really thought I was going to have to crawl on my hands and knees. So ....so much for taking that stuff and then jumping in the air...I am fortunate I did not ruin my stomach from that medication and it never provided any relief...None of those drugs did...Etodolac...Daypro....It was like eating candy...I was still in agony...The only thing that seemed to help until about a year ago was Celebrex, but now that is off the market.

JanM 09-20-2006 12:42 AM

Way back when I was given pain pills (it was so long ago I can't even remember the name of them) and, of course, they were not doing the job. I told the NSS it was like taking a pea shooter on a bear hunt. I'm going to a SS for the first time in Abilene tomorrow morning....... I sure miss the OSS spiny guy I had in GB

ScratchW 09-20-2006 02:09 AM

Aloha All,

I must agree. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. The newest commercial that gets me riled is for a product called "Dr. Frank's Joint And Muscle Pain Relief Oral Spray". Just a couple of quick sprays under the tongue and swallow and magically all your pain will disappear. Whether you suffer from the aches, pains and stiffness of arthritis, fibromyalgia, TMJ or Carpal Tunnel etc, etc. All the aches and pains we get in our backs, knees, hips, wrists, hands, it takes care of it all, even sciatica. Sheesh, give me a break. :rolleyes:

I could go on a rant about it, but I won't. I will leave it at grrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Keep the sun shining in your heart,

SW

ponyboy 09-20-2006 03:25 AM

WE NEED RELIEF FROM
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cervie Barb (Post 8664)
Pain Relief Ads

[img]http://www.v6power.net/vb/images/smilies/******-o.gif[/img]

Much love and