NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Creative Corner (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/)
-   -   sewing? (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/112770-sewing.html)

braingonebad 01-20-2010 02:21 PM

sewing?

I used to sew a lot. Made dd's entire layette when she was a baby, and all kinds of stuff, and I am going to open that can of worms again.

:o

Anybody else still sew?

I think I'm gonna start easy. I saw some Princess fabric, and thought some curtains for my granddaughter's bedroom. And I could use a few tops.

Bobbi 01-22-2010 09:18 AM

I tried sewing a "window treatment" yet made the mistake of not using a pattern - first time trying. Next time: Will definitely get a pattern :D.

braingonebad 01-23-2010 10:11 AM

Jo ann's is having a 99 cent pattern sale - ends today though. I picked up a handful of them. Yikes, those things are as much as 16 bucks each now! They had ones for window tx and everything. I should've gotten some for windows (the blinds were cool).

Bobbi 01-23-2010 10:33 AM

Thanks for the heads-up about Jo Ann's sale :).

I don't know if you may have done or might do this some times: Check out some of the "styles" that Walmart and other stores carry - for ideas :).

I don't know how old your granddaughter may be, yet, I saw one set of sheers that was so cool and pretty. Betcha you could make some! even nicer! The sheers - in a variety of colors - had sparkly embellishments added.

braingonebad 01-27-2010 09:41 AM

Good idea! I often look at clothes that way. Then think it's okay, but I'd change one thing... that's why I sew.

My granddaughter is 3.5 - so sparkly is good.

Bobbi 01-29-2010 04:34 PM

Considering her age, I also betcha she'd like the sparkly enhanced ones. Another idea may be to use iron-ons w/let's say, her fav. character/s.

:)

Bobbi 02-05-2010 07:18 PM

Another thing... maybe helpful, possibly not :wink:.

I went to a dollar type store recently, and found some really nice wall "art" / applications. Very pretty. Thought they may not work well - y'know the saying that one gets what one pays for - but... turned out beautifully.

Possibly, you might also see some that complement the window coverings you're making :).

The ones I bought were for my laundry room, and it's sayings w/some little stars. Turned out perfectly.

I thought of you! :D

svenskagrandy 02-21-2010 05:53 AM

Try it again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by braingonebad (Post 612609)
I used to sew a lot. Made dd's entire layette when she was a baby, and all kinds of stuff, and I am going to open that can of worms again.

:o

Anybody else still sew?

I think I'm gonna start easy. I saw some Princess fabric, and thought some curtains for my granddaughter's bedroom. And I could use a few tops.

I have sewed all my life; for while I quit because everything took so long. I missed the creative outlet so started again! I choose my projects carefully so that the reward isn't too long in coming! good luck

Koala77 02-21-2010 09:22 PM

Like you I also sewed a lot in another life.

I made all of my own, and all of DD's clothes until she was about 8 or 9. I made nighties, trousers and dresses for my nieces, and I always made all my own curtains.

I don't have a sewing machine at the moment, but I've been looking at each sale catalogue with that far away look in my eyes, hoping that hubby will soon get the hint. :D

jackie66 02-22-2010 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koala77 (Post 624432)
Like you I also sewed a lot in another life.

I made all of my own, and all of DD's clothes until she was about 8 or 9. I made nighties, trousers and dresses for my nieces, and I always made all my own curtains.

I don't have a sewing machine at the moment, but I've been looking at each sale catalogue with that far away look in my eyes, hoping that hubby will soon get the hint. :D

Oh dear, How do I answer this one------- I am gender dysphoric and love my dresses just the same as any female would. Yes, I am male. Being male, there were no dresses that looked or felt right. There are just soo many differences between the male and female shapes.

Over the years I taught myself the best way of doing things. I thought I was teaching myself dressmaking -- Unwittingly I had taught myself couture. I draught my own patterns, and concentrate on the styles of the 1950's or 1850's.

I have put pictures of my work in a flickr site. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackie66 Since I have truncal ataxia and T4 complete paraplegia I cannot sit unsupported at a sewing machine table so all my work is handsewn. I do have a push button machine but only use it for overlocking and buttonholing.

I show these dresses off at the transgender events and get a great deal of fun doing so. My styles are all created to look good whilst I am sat in a wheelchair. Most of my pictures are taken with me standing, but the position of my arms show that I am in fact doing a balancing act.

I have had great fun creating outfits to tease the fetishists. A PVC ballgown being one of them. Creating these outfits is my way of covering lifes traumas and I am getting a great deal of benefit from doing so.

My dresses seem to be very popular with the American ladies. -- So they should, since my inspirations come from the Hollywood musical films.