NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Hello. My name is Marion06095, and I have a problem: (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/113089-hello-name-marion06095.html)

marion06095 01-25-2010 06:33 PM

Hello. My name is Marion06095, and I have a problem:

As you know, I had an appointment with my new PCP today. Something happened at the doctor’s office that hasn’t happened to me in a while. I got all teary-eyed when I was asked how I have been feeling. I am absolutely MORTIFIED! I just hope that they know that this is an MS thing, because I was too choked up to explain it. Boy! Some days it just doesn’t pay to get up in the morning.

gonnamakeit 01-25-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marion06095 (Post 614349)
As you know, I had an appointment with my new PCP today. Something happened at the doctor’s office that hasn’t happened to me in a while. I got all teary-eyed when I was asked how I have been feeling. I am absolutely MORTIFIED! I just hope that they know that this is an MS thing, because I was too choked up to explain it. Boy! Some days it just doesn’t pay to get up in the morning.

Your reaction is an MS thing and your doctor would know that it is.

Forget about what happened and move on. It is only a blip on your life and this memory will pass or will become less horrible to you soon.

My doctor told me that people with chronic conditions are almost always depressed due to the uncertainty of having to live with the unknown. That made sense to me.

gmi

Aarcyn 01-25-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Did anything in particular make you cry? Was it a tone of voice?

SallyC 01-25-2010 08:47 PM

Aw, Marion, I so understand. Been there, done that. It was all his fault for having a nice voice at the wrong time.

Did he respond or run away and turn you over to the nurse. Men, in general, do not understand women's tears.

How did the overall visit go?

:hug:

marion06095 01-25-2010 09:21 PM

Actually, it was in front of the nurse that I started blubbering. I had managed to partially compose myself before the doctor came in. I didn't really even ask half the questions I wanted to. I just wanted to get out of there with the shred of dignity I managed to muster. I see him again next week, so I guess I can ask him my questions next week.

I'm goin' to bed. <<sniff>>

Better days are ahead.

pud's friend 01-25-2010 10:43 PM

I reckon these guys are used to it and don't think anything of it. Don't worry yourself. Part of the course.

I remember arriving for my diagnosis with red eyes having opened and read the report on my way there. He know that I knew and he just came out with it. Uncontrolable tears were just part of the conversation.

gonnamakeit 01-26-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pud's friend (Post 614429)
Uncontrolable tears were just part of the conversation.

The tears were quite justified too.

gmi

kicker 01-26-2010 07:40 AM

You know what my doctor once told me when I started crying? "You have a right to cry". Of course, the memory makes me start tearing up every time I see her now. It's just a blip in the doc's busy life and yours. And everyone knows MS effects affect. (I cry and laugh so easy now at anything - it's a neuroloical thing)

Dejibo 01-26-2010 09:53 AM

OMG :eek: I just did the same thing! I explained to the MD that I dont know what happened! I just exploded into sobs. I tried to explain that I have been quite stressed lately, and am over tired. He said he completely understood, and asked how sad I am. did the depression exam. Once I cleared that, he assured me that I am just stressed, and its a normal reaction to release it.

I hope you feel better. :hug:

DizzyLizzy 01-26-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Marion....this happened to me on the 15th! I was on my way to my 1st Tysabri infusion appointment...and during the drive there, I aparently had my first 'panic attack'. I completely lost my bearings, and my confidence however I did not feel particularily anxious about the actual Infusion. I had just had troubles with reading the directions to get to the appointment, and was overcome with 'tears'. By the time I got to the desk where I needed to check in...I was completely 'Blubbering' and crying hard enough that I could not find the words to tell the nurse 'why' I was there. By the time I was able to get my words out, a few nurses had gathered around the desk...and they were all very supportive that it was normal to feel overwhelmed when having the first infusion...when in fact, the infusion was not my problem...my problem was the fact that I got 'lost' on the way to the appointment. I was completely mortified by not being able to control my crying long enough to explain that 'being lost' was in fact, the reason why I was blubbering. So now, there are several nurses at the Infusion center who think I had a 'emotional melt down' because of the infusion...when in fact, the infusion was the easiest part of the whole appointment!

I wish I could just 'turn off' the tears, because it is so frustrating to be crying over the 'little things'. I just never know when I am going to cry about something...but it always seems to happen at the most inopportune times! Geez!:confused: