NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   Can't tell me by phone? (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/113292-cant-tell-phone.html)

sugrkiss 01-28-2010 02:24 PM

Can't tell me by phone?

I recieved a letter last week asking me to go have an evaluation at a Doctors office, and today I recieved a letter cancelling that appt. I called my social worker, and she told me a decision had been made, but she couldn't tell me over the phone. I am figuring I was denied...anybody have anything like this happen? From what I understand, they actually call if you are approved.

Thank you,
Jessica

echoes long ago 01-28-2010 02:44 PM

you really cant tell one way or the other if your appointment was cancelled. I have read of it going both ways after that. Also the fact that they wont tell you is pretty standard wether ultimately approved or not. Take it for what its worth but i think it would be more likely you would be approved after having your appointment cancelled. In other words they have enough information without that evaluation to make a decision which should point to approved most times.

sugrkiss 01-29-2010 03:41 AM

Well...thanks for the input, but I got ahold of my local social worker, and found out I was denied. I won't know why until I get my letter. I'm bummed.

jana 01-29-2010 02:48 PM

Jessica, I know that you are on prescribed meds -- so, if you have the following:

11.12 Myasthenia gravis. With:

A. Significant difficulty with speaking, swallowing, or breathing while on prescribed therapy; or

B. Significant motor weakness of muscles of extremities on repetitive activity against resistance while on prescribed therapy.

(copied directly from Social Security's website), then "somebody" made a BIG mistake. They did the SAME thing with me. Don't lose confidence -- hire the best disability lawyer you can find -- laws regulate how much they can charge -- it will only cost a certain % of your backpay. I was approved within a couple of months of hiring an attorney. Although "some" Social Security "officials" will say otherwise, I personally believe that they deny "almost" everyone the first time.

Feel the Burn 01-31-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jana (Post 615779)
Jessica, I know that you are on prescribed meds -- so, if you have the following:

11.12 Myasthenia gravis. With:

A. Significant difficulty with speaking, swallowing, or breathing while on prescribed therapy; or

B. Significant motor weakness of muscles of extremities on repetitive activity against resistance while on prescribed therapy.

(copied directly from Social Security's website), then "somebody" made a BIG mistake. They did the SAME thing with me. Don't lose confidence -- hire the best disability lawyer you can find -- laws regulate how much they can charge -- it will only cost a certain % of your backpay. I was approved within a couple of months of hiring an attorney. Although "some" Social Security "officials" will say otherwise, I personally believe that they deny "almost" everyone the first time.

once you get your denial letter,, either get a attorney or appeal right away,, the clock starts to run once your denied

Achilles927 02-05-2010 08:55 PM

Please do get an advocate! ONe of the best is ** You can google them. I believe they will not charge you unless you get a favorable decision. And then they just take it from your back pay. Dont try this on your own. And its true that at the first level nearly all cases are denied. I believe the % was around 79%. The 2nd level is also high - around the high 60s or low 70s. You have to be persistent and stay on task and dont think you can do it alone!

Good luck

Just Jacquie 02-06-2010 01:15 PM

That IS NOT TRUE that almost everyone is denied the first time. I can also tell you that my denial percentage is not nearly as high as 79%

I edited this post because I don't want to get into any disagreements over what people do and don't believe. People are going to chose to believe what they want, even if there are no facts to back it up.

jana 02-06-2010 03:23 PM

Uhhhhhhh, in MY state, a doctor employed by Social Security makes the decision as to whether or not a person is approved or denied (or so I was told by the SS counselor who was handling my case).

I have a Master's Degree from a reputable University and worked for 28 years in Public Education with FAVORABLE evaluations, so I "assume" that I am capable of reading and understanding the paperwork required by SS.

I MET the qualifications outlined on the SS website COMPLETELY -- was, alas, only "near 50" when I applied for disability -- yet, I was DENIED the first time!!!

I was a COMPLETE and TOTAL basket case after my denial -- the attorney I hired was a SAINT -- took the reins and got everything taken care of (me, approved) within about THREE MONTHS!! STRESS exacerbates my condition -- if I had NOT gotten an attorney, I would likely be in much worse shape or even dead.

I have only found ONE person in my area who was approved on the FIRST attempt -- and he sent a BOX of medical records to SS.

Perhaps each state is different?

Just Jacquie 02-06-2010 07:10 PM

Yes, and sadly, it depends on many other variables as well. My daughter was only 24 and she was approved the first try.

jana 02-06-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Jacquie (Post 618783)
Yes, and sadly, it depends on many other variables as well. My daughter was only 24 and she was approved the first try.

Thank you for editing your other post. From what I have learned -- through reading and listening to others' posts, here and in other groups -- all states do NOT handle these claims the same. And, all people who are in charge of approving/denying claims are NOT equally "trained" or "competent", in my opinion. I seriously doubt if the doctor who denied me the first time even knew what Myasthenia Gravis was -- even though it is ON THE SS LIST!

I had no desire to start an argument -- but, until you have walked in "our shoes" -- faced denial -- it is really impossible to understand HOW it feels. It is NOT something that I care to revisit -- not even a situation that I would wish on my worst enemy.