NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Community & Forum Feedback (https://www.neurotalk.org/community-and-forum-feedback/)
-   -   The Thank You Feature (https://www.neurotalk.org/community-and-forum-feedback/11353-thank-feature.html)

DocJohn 01-17-2007 12:32 PM

The Thank You Feature

The thank you functionality was created by folks who were concerned that people use total post count as a contest as well -- that some members love replying to every thread, even with nonsense sometimes, to improve their post count and gain the next user title. The thank you button was created to remove this incentive for people who only wanted to say, "Right on," "Thank you," etc. to a post.

Wittesea 01-17-2007 12:55 PM

Thanks DocJohn for starting a poll to get member feedback :)

Personally, I love the idea of being able to thank someone by clicking one button. I often have questions when I have a symptom flare, and typing is often very difficult during a flare -- so being able to thank people for answering my question without having to type is something that I personally like very much.

I can also see why people would dislike the feature, so I am glad that you started a poll so everyone can give their feedback and opinion.

Liz

LisaL-TOS 01-17-2007 01:01 PM

Doc John,

I had to chuckle :p when I read your comment where some people have to reply to every single post and yes, some with nonsense, just to gain.

I often wonder if they have a life other than the computer and if they live in disarray in their homes as who would have time to do household chores, cooking, attending to family members while sitting at the computer 24/7.

I would have severe cervical, hand, arm, shoulder problems posting all day long.:o Yes, there is life outside the computer. ;)

Charity Begins at Home!

Happy New Year.

redjpwranglergirl 01-17-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocJohn (Post 60285)
The thank you functionality was created by folks who were concerned that people use total post count as a contest as well -- that some members love replying to every thread, even with nonsense sometimes, to improve their post count and gain the next user title. The thank you button was created to remove this incentive for people who only wanted to say, "Right on," "Thank you," etc. to a post.

Thank you, Doc John, for explaining the reasoning behind this. And the reason for it's creation make sense- I'm sure if the past is any indication, both here and especially on obt (since most of us were members of obt much longer than here), we all know people on our own "personal" forums that as you said, love to reply on every thread, and ALOT of times with nonsense. The thing is, and this is just my opinion, while the reasoning behind this creation is good, the people who do do this- post alot and with nonsense- are probably NOT going to use the "thank-you" function to just say, "thank you" etc. I imagine that if upping the post count or the "thank you" count is their main goal, the addition of the "thank you" button is not going to stop them or change things....They'll still continue to post non stop because to some people that number under their names is really important- in susceptible individuals it may be one way of making themselves seem important or to be seen an authority on the subject.

Jomar 01-17-2007 01:28 PM

Some people do just care and want to help others too, numbers of posts aren't the important thing to them. IMO

redjpwranglergirl 01-17-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jo55 (Post 60317)
Some people do just care and want to help others too, numbers of posts aren't the important thing to them. IMO

You're right, Jo. I do know that there are alot of people who are very caring and supportive and go out of their way to help others and the number of posts under their names would reflect just that- that they have good hearts and are there to help others. But as the old saying goes- "there's one in every crowd". There are some who do post because that number is important to them and they won't be the ones who'd use the thank you button. And I give the people on this forum credit for being very smart and if they've been on obt and this one for very long, they know the difference between those who post nonsense to get their "numbers" up and those who are genuinely caring and helpful people.:)

kimmydawn 01-17-2007 01:46 PM

Thanks DocJohn,

I, personally, hope that a button of some sort will be allowed to remain for members who have limitations/difficulties with typing and manipulating posting. If it's not tracked anywhere, that's more than fine. I think that those who are severely limited in their abilities to type, click, and the such could greatly benefit by this "one click" thank you but more. :)

In fact, I think it would be awesome if we could tailor that button with a drop down menu of some useful "automatic responses" (i.e. thank you, i agree, please tell me more, check this out, etc.). I know that's probably not an option, but how cool that might be?

Also, that might reduce the anxiety/concerns regarding the "thank you" alone?

I think this might be a good way to help some current members, future members in one of possibly many ways to come.

KD

bizi 01-17-2007 01:54 PM

wow...
people try to get their numbers up????
I think we are all here for support, to give support as well as receive support.
I would presume that almost all posters are greatful for this community.
I know that I am very thankful for the friendships and the information that I have gained from being a member.

I am glad that there is a poll...would you put a notice at the top of each forum announcing this poll please so that others will know to come vote their opinions.
thank you
bizi

bizi 01-17-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmydawn (Post 60330)

In fact, I think it would be awesome if we could tailor that button with a drop down menu of some useful "automatic responses" (i.e. thank you, i agree, please tell me more, check this out, etc.). I know that's probably not an option, but how cool that might be?

KD

Now that is a neat idea!

DocJohn 01-17-2007 01:58 PM

I agree -- that would be very cool. Since I didn't write the mod, I can't tailor it, but it's something I might be able to have someone else do. For instance, to give virtual "hugs" to a member who's posted, and it's hard to find the words to say something more/else....