NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   HELP!! Facet Block??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/113634-help-facet-block.html)

Courtw84 02-02-2010 11:08 AM

HELP!! Facet Block???

I currently have RSD in my right leg, but I have been having ALOT of back pain and my doctor isn't sure if it is related to the RSD. He wants to do a facet block on Monday and then hit PT hard. I have read that needles in the RSD area are a big NO!!!

HELP! Can you get RSD in your back??? Should I do this block? Or can it make me worse!! I am new to this so, i am just learning all the do's and dont's! LET ME KNOW!!

Court

loretta 02-03-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtw84 (Post 617020)
I currently have RSD in my right leg, but I have been having ALOT of back pain and my doctor isn't sure if it is related to the RSD. He wants to do a facet block on Monday and then hit PT hard. I have read that needles in the RSD area are a big NO!!!

HELP! Can you get RSD in your back??? Should I do this block? Or can it make me worse!! I am new to this so, i am just learning all the do's and dont's! LET ME KNOW!!

Court

Hi Court, yes you can get RSD in your back. Physical Therapy by an experienced RSD pt is very important. It can keep you mobile and help with the desensitization. Because I got started immediately, I am mobile and not sensitive. Actually, I had a wrong diagnosis and delay in treatment so one hand is paratially paralyzed like a half frozen claw. It's been 15 years, and I am full body,generalized, and internally. One time my toes were curling up and my Dr. got me into therapy right away and in 4 months they were touching the floor again. I'm so grateful. I still do sretching, and exercising to keep mobile. I do have a lot of pain in my spine from the spread.
Please be cautious with needles. With a blood draw, I get a butterfly needle, which is small. Before Dentist, I get antibiocs and gas mask to relax before check up.
Hope this helps, your friend,loretta with soft hugs:grouphug:

Courtw84 02-03-2010 09:54 PM

Thanks Louretta!!!
I cancelledmy block. I am going to try PT, I start next Wednesday, but Im not sure if he is experienced with RSD or not!?!?!!?!?!

one of my toes on that infected leg curls under..... so this is related?

debbiehub 02-03-2010 11:04 PM

good call

With RSD it is hard to know what to do...I say when in doubt wait it out and see what else you can do,

Debbie

Dubious 02-03-2010 11:15 PM

My analogy is that I have CRPS in my right arm and hand from a shoulder surgery that damaged my brachial plexus. For treatment, I have now had 9 stellate ganglion blocks (in my neck) and 3 cervical epidurals and I can definitively say that I have only experienced pain relief, temporary (but I'll take it), and absolutely no exacerbation of my right upper extremity CRPS.

So while there is no reliably perfect answer on any of this BS, I would think you would probably be okay to get a lumbar facet block, although I am sure that everyone especially the PM doc, will tell you that there are no guarentees!

A good clinical exam to raise the level of likelihood of the diagnosis of a facet issue, would best be done by a spine fellowship trained orthopedist or a board-certified chiropractic orthopedist. Either one would be able to tell you if there is a good clinical suspicion to warrent a facet block. Otherwise it is a shot in the dark (no pun intended)! If you do have a facet syndrome going, a facet block could be both diagnostic and therapeutic.