NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Acupuncture Time! (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/113721-acupuncture-time.html)

thursday 02-02-2010 11:12 PM

Acupuncture Time!

Went to my second Acupuncture treatment today!
Its located in San Francisco and it is affordable and I like it. Don't know if it works but I like it :)

The licensed acupuncturist is working of a business model that provides quiet group setting: 6 recliners with fresh linens (on the chair as well as blankets and pillows for support). The actual needling happens on distal points* on the arms and legs. In my case since the problems are upper extremities and neck my points are along the meridians on my legs. So I just roll up my jeans, lean back and get about 30 needles in me then take a nap. She insists the deeper the relaxation the better the healing process. Today I was so relaxed I conked out for 2 hours!! She said that was a good thing :D

Quote:

*Distal refers to a location far from the site of the pain, usually a point below the elbow or knee. The technique of needling distal points is related to the channel theory of root and branch, whereby a disease above is treated by a point below, and vice versa.

In addition to selecting distal points according to traditional theory, they may also be selected on the basis of nerve distribution. Generally, this is most useful for treatment of disorders on the limb, whereby a point located on a nerve trunk or root above the problem is selected for needling.source
Not sure if this is my cure but I will give it a whirl since the price is right and it is relaxing. I will update this as I continue with the process.. (Btw- I'm supposed to go 3 times a week but I am going to aim for twice :p )

http://www.caworks.org/

Jomar 02-03-2010 01:22 AM

Interesting , keep us updated on how it goes for you.

(Broken Wings) 02-05-2010 07:12 PM

hummm... needles are your friends, huh?

I do hope it helps. although I think you should go the 3X a week if that's what the health care professional recommends. It may be worth it in the longrun, to get the best results possible. My thought is by 1 or 2 a week, you're going to stretch it out even longer. do it and get it over with.

Do they tell you what you can expect to get out of it and when it will happen?

Sheri_TOS 02-06-2010 01:00 AM

I swear by acupuncture. I went to the acupuncturist a few years ago when I had numbness on my thumb for about 2 months. After each treatment, he put in a transdermal needle near the base of my neck that stayed in until the next visit. The numbness disappeared after a few sessions along with the other symptoms. Now, I go back periodically for "tuneups".

I hope you get good results! I can tell the difference in muscle spasms before and after treatment.

thursday 02-08-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Broken Wings) (Post 618394)
hummm... needles are your friends, huh?

I do hope it helps. although I think you should go the 3X a week if that's what the health care professional recommends. It may be worth it in the longrun, to get the best results possible. My thought is by 1 or 2 a week, you're going to stretch it out even longer. do it and get it over with.

Do they tell you what you can expect to get out of it and when it will happen?

I actually have a huge fear of shots and such but I was desperate at this point so I put my fears aside and told myself, "People wouldn't do this if it actually hurt."
I dealt with the initial visit by taking off my glasses so I couldn't see when the needles were happening even if I opened my eyes. Also I clung onto the blanket provided as I sweat profusely from my palms :P It doesn't hurt! Sometimes I have felt a needle but it always dissipates.

Schematically its kind of hard to get to the place 3 times a week but she says that's ok. Acupuncture is like chiropractic care in a way - it is a cumulative effect, you need to be rigorous at first and taper your visits down - especially with a cumulative injury or problem like RSI. So there is no ETA of a more permanent feeling of being whole again but in the meantime I am content to hope for the best and enjoy the small windows of reprieve I get with my neck weakness following these visits.

Next trip is Tuesday. I will report back :)

TraceyW 02-09-2010 01:30 PM

Love acupuncture - had it for 3-4 months a few years ago.....very good as dispersing my terribly knotty muscles in should blade area. Thinking of going back for more soon.
Good luck with it!

thursday 04-14-2010 02:50 AM

Acupuncture is definitely enhancing my daily living :D
I'm going to start a new thread with my thoughts on it so that it may catch more attention. This could be a breakthrough! :winner_first_h4h: