NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Layoffs, Unemployment and Worker's Compensation (https://www.neurotalk.org/layoffs-unemployment-and-worker-s-compensation/)
-   -   disabled due to depression (https://www.neurotalk.org/layoffs-unemployment-and-worker-s-compensation/11427-disabled-due-depression.html)

siccy 01-18-2007 01:13 PM

disabled due to depression

Hello old newbie here
I was wondering if anyone here receives workers comp disability for depression.I know the laws vary state to state.Im in texas.I was awarded pshyc..I was given a low rating on impairment rating .Since then my condition has worsened.I have tos and rsd.I have not worked since injury 2000.Social secuity says I do not have enough quarters.To be eligible for
ssi you have to be low income.My husband made too much.I applied for vocational rehab 4 yrs ago and was told they based on income ( declined me).
I reapplied 06 and they are willing to help.After testing with rehab they tell me I need help with depression before I can go forward.Due to heavy meds for pain I do not feel like I can retrain. Voc rehab felt so too.So ...my question is has anyone here
ran into this problem?I would think wc would be resposible.But due to low impairment they are not.

Jomar 01-18-2007 01:48 PM

That's a tough situation.
Is your wc claim closed or still active/open/ongoing?

If the meds and pain caused the depression -was that added to the claim by your doctors?

my thinking-
Pain from injury = medications - plus depression from changes in life and activities and wc claim!

Did you have any depression before this?

just some thoughts on it.

A lot depends on how your doc writes and records the injury and relate the depression to it.
and of course proving it all.:Sigh:

do you have a good comp atty on your side?

can you get a re-evaluation of your limits- due to TOS & RSD?

siccy 01-31-2007 02:44 PM

depression

Thanks for your reply.Mydepression was minimal prior to injury.So its been agrivated .As far as I know I have a life time medical on tos and phsyc.They would not take responsibility for rsd.I fought it.I feel like I was unfairly treated.TOS initial rating 15%.Ins disputed saying it was rated using spinal injury.Different table so..Wopping 9 given.The battle was on.I still dont understand how.They reassesed 2 yrs later and said 1% depression and even gave me a 4% rating if and when civil case was won then I would be given a 4% for rsd .But rsd would be extent to injury.
Been thru a few attorneys .Now that their is no money atorney can draw im stuck.I have good days and bad,Bad out weigh the good.No skills.
I thought maybe someone here might have some suggestions.:(

gbsb 02-10-2007 10:54 AM

I just returned from the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for depression and anxiety.
My PCP and I talked about this a little over a week ago and she gave me some samples.
We decided to switch prescriptions as I didn't like the one she gave me.
I specifically asked her if she thought it was injury / WorkersComp related because I was going to use my W/C prescription card. She said yes.
Well, guess what? Pharmacy says W/C insurance won't cover it.
I called the phone number on the W/C prescription card and they said my adjuster denied it because depression / anxiety aren't part of W/C.
Needless to say I almost blew a gasket. I called my adjusters voicemail and told her I thought it was negligent and dangerous of her to deny it.
I know I'm relatively fortunate given my current situation compared to many folks here but it's stuff like this that just drives me to the edge anger wise.
Any way, I felt like I needed to vent because I was considering calling my employer to let them know how I really feel. Hopefully I won't because they'd end up calling the police on me probably.
:mad:

Julie 02-10-2007 09:06 PM

(((((gbsb))))))))

siccy 02-14-2007 12:06 AM

antidepressants

Many conditions are treated with an antidepressant.Might be worth checking into :winky:
siccy

JoAnnFunk 06-06-2007 08:01 PM

I to have become very depressed. I don't even want to go outside. If fell embarassed when people stare at me because of the way I walk. half the time I don't want to get dressed. I am thinking they will just blame it on the pain medication. i told my Lawyer if I become addicted to pain meds. that work comp can pay to send me to treatment for that also. Thats how I fell about it. That it is there fault for prolonging medical treatment for so long.