NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Chronic Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/)
-   -   What's this new pain? (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/114354-whats-pain.html)

Hockey 02-10-2010 06:24 AM

What's this new pain?

Hi Gang,

As some of you know, I suffered a TBI, extensive nerve damage and a buffet of other injuries is a serious car accident a few years ago.

As a result, where I have sensation, I have a lot of nerve pain. It feels electrical - like being tasered a few dozen times a day.

Recently I've noticed a new pain. It's hot and it feels like a line of prickles are rubbing against my skin. I experience this mostly on my back. When it first happened, I'd ask my husband to look, thinking I'd developed shingles or something, but there was nothing there. While the pain was initially intermittant, it's now there all the time.

By the way, I'm drugged up more than Elvis, so I'm probably giving a rather muted discription of this new ouchy.

Any ideas what this is?

Thanks

Jomar 02-10-2010 12:53 PM

Questions to help figure it out-

How long ago was your last MRI /xray?
Did it cover the area that is showing these new sx?
What did it show then? anything or all OK

spine /nerves chart
http://www.omealyspineandposture.com...ctic_small.jpg
enlarge it for easier reading

I'm just wondering if a nerve is getting a little pinch or compression and causing this.

I'm not that up on shingles but I do think it shows as a rash or something at some point.

tamiloo 02-10-2010 05:25 PM

Sorry I'm not able to over any help besides talking to your doc. It does sound like shingles but if its not visible I don't know. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you!

Hey, I loved the chart Jo...:hug:

razzle51 02-18-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamiloo (Post 620401)
Sorry I'm not able to over any help besides talking to your doc. It does sound like shingles but if its not visible I don't know. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you!

Hey, I loved the chart Jo...:hug:

Great chart thanks so much for sharing

Dmom3005 02-20-2010 04:05 PM

Hockey
Can you answer Jo*Mar's questions for one thing.

Next I would look into whether some mild type exercises aggravate
or help it.

Donna

Koala77 02-21-2010 12:45 AM

It's 2 weeks since you posted this Hockey, so was wondering how you were now.

Has the pain eased at all, or have you had to go back to your doctor about it?

Do check in and let us know that you're OK. :hug:

Hockey 02-21-2010 07:34 AM

Hi Gang,

My neurologist just shrugged and said, "All your wires are crossed so what do you expect?" Then he proposed to increase my already substantially overdosed doses of pain and spasm meds. When I hinted that might not be the best idea (since I can barely stay awake, etc...), he replied, "Well, I guess it can't be that bad." :mad:

What I wouldn't give for a neurologist who gave a &%@#. Sadly, there are very few within a six hour drive of my rural home and this one is considered the "good one." There's a scary thought, eh!

I'd like to travel for care, but as many of you can appreciate, our financial situation has become quite desperate since the accident.

For starters, we've lost my income. Although we have (thank God or we'd be on the street by now) socialized medicine, there are many "uninsured services" (like cognitive therapy) because nobody cares about head injuries.

My car insurance is refusing to pay anything. (It's a standard trick: "sue us if you want the benefits you paid for".) To top it off, my husband's job is in jeopardy.

Right now were making choices between feeding our kid and paying for my care. You Moms all know that's a "no brainer."

Anyway, I'm not throwing a "pity party." :nopity: That's not my style. I just wanted folks to understand that I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances.

Thanks for Caring

Chemar 02-21-2010 08:41 AM

:hug:Hockey:hug:

Koala77 02-21-2010 05:19 PM

mrsD 02-21-2010 05:23 PM

Have you tried ice packs a couple of times a day, say for 20 min at a time?

Are you standing under a hot shower by any chance?

There can be shingles pain, without rash... and heat will activate nerves. So I always try an ice pack, and find it works most of the time for my nerve and shingle issues.

I am sorry you have to go thru an additional pain source, and I hope it resolves. Sometimes things do go away..are self limiting.