NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Earthquake in Elgin IL!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/114371-earthquake-elgin-il.html)

SandyC 02-10-2010 09:58 AM

Earthquake in Elgin IL!!

I woke up right before 4am trembling. I was half asleep and looked around, waited, listening for anyone to get up. I thought something had blown up or someone fell out of the bed. I looked over at the dog and cat and they didn't move. I looked at the clock to mark the time and thought maybe Jim was having a leg spasm since that happens often. :)

Nope, woke up to the news and we had a 3.9 magnitude earthquake. :p

Kitty 02-10-2010 10:02 AM

:eek: Wow! Isn't that the strangest feeling? We had a small earthquake here in GA a few years back and the news went crazy! Said that 911 was flooded with calls. I actually felt my bed shake. It was early morning, too. One elderly man called into the news and said that was the most action his bed had seen in years! :o :D

SandyC 02-10-2010 10:05 AM

Now that I know what a 3.9 earthquake feels like I can explain how Jim's spasms feel like when he has one in bed. :cool: :p

Debbie D 02-10-2010 02:39 PM

One of my neighbors said she was awakened by her house shaking...she thought something had hit her house. She said she laid there for a minute or so and felt it again...then she was afraid someone had broken in.
She shook her DH awake and asked him if he felt that shaking...he just moaned and turned over:rolleyes:
We're about 30 miles away from the center of the quake...news reports said they felt it up to Madison WI...

SandyC 02-10-2010 03:04 PM

Debbie, I went down in the basement and a few things were shuffled. We're about 45 minutes from Elgin. At first they said it was in Sycamore which explains why I woke up feeling tremors.

hollym 02-10-2010 03:23 PM

I had a similar experience when I was in Palo Alto, CA for a debate tournament in high school. I was in my hotel room and felt the bed shaking and couldn't figure it out until I saw the news in the morning. It was 3. something also. It's weird for those of us who never felt a quake before!

SandyC 02-10-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollym (Post 620348)
I had a similar experience when I was in Palo Alto, CA for a debate tournament in high school. I was in my hotel room and felt the bed shaking and couldn't figure it out until I saw the news in the morning. It was 3. something also. It's weird for those of us who never felt a quake before!

Last night I kept hearing a weird noise and went to the basement to check it out. My fuse box was humming. Yet when I placed my hand on it it stopped. Let go and it hummed again. I just thought maybe it was loose or we were using more electric or something. Then the earthquake. Makes ya wonder if something was going on at ground level before we really felt it. A few things were shuffled around in the basement but nothing broke.

Debbie said her husband told her she asked if the earth was shaking around 11pm. That's the same time I heard the humming. Weird. It's not humming at all today.

Debbie D 02-11-2010 09:43 AM

I'd read an article this morning that at an animal shelter in the area of the quake the dogs were howling a couple of hours beforehand...I wonder if there might have been a warning shake...

watsonsh 02-11-2010 12:22 PM

Yawn..eh a 3.9....dont even feel those anymore out here in Cali. :rolleyes: The first one aboev 5.0 scared the crap outta me. :eek:

Really in all seriousness I am just kidding and glad you guys are all fine :grouphug: There's a major fault line that runs down the mid west I think.

SandyC 02-11-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelley (Post 620734)
Yawn..eh a 3.9....dont even feel those anymore out here in Cali. :rolleyes: The first one aboev 5.0 scared the crap outta me. :eek:

Really in all seriousness I am just kidding and glad you guys are all fine :grouphug: There's a major fault line that runs down the mid west I think.

They are talking about all kinds of projects now to find the fault lines. :p

I thought about you guys and how your probably laughing at us. :D