NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   does neurapathy cause acid refluxs (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/115267-neurapathy-cause-acid-refluxs.html)

sheila 02-23-2010 10:03 AM

does neurapathy cause acid refluxs

my doctor prescribed zantac mg x per day but it is not working my mouth is raw all over also my tongue i keep throwing up i dont have a gall blader anymore but this all started with my neurapathy

cyclelops 02-23-2010 01:29 PM

This sounds like more than reflux. Have you had your ANA done? Neuropathy by and in itself should not cause such bad reflux unless associated with another disease.

Megan 02-24-2010 07:10 AM

? Autonomic neuropathy!

Is your mouth and tongue raw from throwing up or is vomiting a separate issue apart from the raw mouth?

Do you have other stomach issues in addition to vomiting? There is also autonomic neuropathy such as Gastroparesis which can cause vomiting!

Raglet 02-26-2010 03:02 AM

The meds prescribed for PN can effect your stomach, and give you acid reflux. I have reflux from meds rather than disease, and have to take a variety of meds to keep it under control (pantoprazole, ranitidine and metaclopramide).

raglett

sheila 02-26-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megan (Post 625350)
Is your mouth and tongue raw from throwing up or is vomiting a separate issue apart from the raw mouth?

Do you have other stomach issues in addition to vomiting? There is also autonomic neuropathy such as Gastroparesis which can cause vomiting!

megan it is acid comming up my mouth is raw first my doctor put me on zantac that dident work now im on kapidex 60mg it helps a little but then i get the same acid comming up and burning my mouth my stomach looks like im 8 months pregnant .the burping started with the neurapathy after i hate ..any idies.

Mere 02-26-2010 10:26 PM

Are you able to eat? I have had some serious stomach issues due to gastroparesis. My neuro tells me it is related to my small fiber neuropathy and specifically, autonomic neuropathy.

GP can cause a lot of varied stomach issues including pain, nausea, vomiting, reflux and indigestion. When I first developed it, I had vague symptoms for about one month and lost quite a bit of weight, about 30 pounds. It then became rather acute and I had severe pain, vomiting and nausea. I was then hospitalized for a few days.

The symptoms can vary from person to person. I had a gastric emptying test (a nuclear scan to see how fast food clears the stomach) and upper endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis.

Stomach symptoms are miserable and can be quite serious, especially with vomiting. Please have it checked-out. I hope you feel better :)

Mere

Megan 03-07-2010 12:18 AM

A tardy response!

Hi Sheila,

I know your post is getting older and you may have some resolution to your raw mouth and tongue issues by now. However it does sounds like Zantac may not be enough for you. You may need one of the PPI's (proton pump inhibitors) like omeprazole or pantoprazole, like Raglet is on. Your doctor should be able to give you a trial on this unless there are some other contraindications.

There are probably many things that could be causing this problem for you. All we can offer are the things that we have come across in our experience. Ultimately your doctor needs to be the creative diagnostician!

My experience with the onset of Gastroparesis was almost identical to Mere's but not everyone's follows the exact same course. I was diagnosed with Gastroparesis in January 2009 - just over one year ago (and about 14 months after the onset of my peripheral neuropathic pain). As Mere says, please have it checked out, it is a very miserable condition without adequate management.