NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Tummy Troubles (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/115469-tummy-troubles.html)

Kitty 02-25-2010 10:49 AM

Tummy Troubles

I've noticed that I have more frequent tummy troubles than I ever have before.

It's not heartburn. It's not acid reflux. It's more like IBS. I've gotten to where I don't eat many dairy products anymore because they seem to cause the most trouble. Ice cream was the worst - but it won't hurt me to give that up. But just about anything causes me some sort of problem. I do take supplemental Vitamin D3 because I never have liked Milk.

I don't think this is MS related. I think it's age related. Does anyone else have these problems? I keep popping Tums but I know that just masks the symptoms (sometimes). Sometimes Tums don't even help. :(

Dejibo 02-25-2010 11:23 AM

me me me! I have had tummy troubles for years. IBS is the word of the day. The MD recently gave me bentyl, which calms the spasms of the tummy, and I am so impressed with how well its working. I was afraid to take it because I stay constipated, and its side effect is constipation, but so far it hasnt affected me that way. I am happy to have any relief.

I find heating pads, or rocking chairs help. gentle stretches help, and so does yoga. I eat light meals more frequently. nothing worse than being bent over half the ding dang day.

:hug:

karousel 02-25-2010 01:22 PM

Kitty if you want to find out if some of it's dairy related you could take a lactaid before you eat those foods and see if that helps. As for the rest of the tummy troubles I hope you can figure out what's going on and find some relief.

tkrik 02-25-2010 01:37 PM

(((Kelly))) It can be so many things. I haven't been able to tolerate dairy products for quite a number of years now - cream cheese being the worst. I also can't tolerate a lot of fat in my diet anymore and if I eat too much I certainly regret it either later on that day, during the night, or the next morning. It doesn't cause IBS symptoms, just pain.

Like you, I don't if it is MS, age, something else, or a combination of things. I just know which foods I need to avoid and the list seems to be getting larger.:(

I did read an interesting paper by some medical student about leaky gut syndrome and MS. I wish I could find that link. I just checked and did see it. I am hesitant about some of the links that came up when I googled it. I would rather read through the scientific studies that some random site promoting pills to help.

I 1st read about it in the ALS forum: http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread33616.html

Blessings2You 02-25-2010 01:54 PM

Has your doctor ruled out lactose intolerance? My granddaughter has IBS-like symptoms for a long time, and she turns out to be (as SHE puts it) "lactarded".

karousel 02-25-2010 02:15 PM

"lactarded" too funny!

barb02 02-25-2010 02:16 PM

Me too! I deal with irritable bowel, nausea, gerd. I guess it is time for me to start ruling out certain foods. Nexium helps with the nausea and acid reflux. I just realized I forgot to take it this morning when I started feeling nauseated

Kitty 02-25-2010 02:40 PM

I'm thinking I'll get either Pepcid AC or Prilosec. They're both OTC now. I'll see if either help.

I was also thinking about trying one of those Probiotics like Align. Has anyone tried it? It's so expensive......so not knowing if it's going to work makes me hesitant.

Debbie D 02-25-2010 03:39 PM

Sorry to hear you're ailing, Kel...I have dealt with IBS for many moons...I used to have a med I'd put under my tongue as soon as the first cramps would start...haven't gotten that refilled for awhile. My neuro wants me to increase fiber instead....eat more fiber, not the citrucel that I was using...

lefthanded 02-25-2010 05:28 PM

I live with an unhappy gut . . . and without a colon. Life with only a small intestine is interesting (I don't have an ostomy, but instead a pull-through anastamosis) . . . so believe me when I say I understand. And these days I am eating cautiously until I can schedule my next surgery . . . adhesions have created two hernias and they cause blockages all too regularly!

So I have days when my gut hurts, my feet hurt, my hands hurt, and I can't function after taking meds to address all of the pain.

I take probiotics every day, because the good bacteria live in the colon, and without one of those anymore, I have to keep adding more good bacteria every day. I use VSL-#3 which has been created to prevent pouch inflammation, but also I eat yogurt.

Do not delay a trip to your doctor if you see blood, black in your stools, or any significant changes in your habits. IBS is an immune disorder, and unfortunately we all seem to have wacked-out immune systems these days. Be careful using over the counter acid reducers, as they can cause issues of their own.

It might help to review the known side-effects of any medications you are taking as well. It is amazing how many new symptoms are a result of treating other unrelated symptoms.

:grouphug: Hope you all find some way to alleviate your intestinal issues . . .