NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   Just had rib removal and... (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/115717-rib-removal.html)

vender 03-01-2010 11:22 AM

Just had rib removal and...

Hello All, I just had surgery and now my left foot / leg does not work. Foot drop? Any ideas? The hospital claims they have never seen this. It has been a week and still dead leg. The hospital is going to call today but again they have no idea why this happened. Has anyone heard of this? Kinda freaking out. The arm feel much better but I kinda like walking.
Thanks
Mark

Jomar 03-01-2010 03:24 PM

Has there been any x ray/MRI of the lower spine ,, just to check it?

maybe a position during surgery pinched something?
but then there would most likely be some pain..

So it doesn't hurt or anything ,, just that you can't move it?:confused:

I would hope they at least give you some therapy for it, maybe E stim?

I don't think any of the TOS group has ever had something like this happen.
If anything we do tend to slowly get more stiffness all over, I think it is due to adhesions and sticky tissues.
Or maybe a type of chronic myofasical syndrome.:confused:

Hope you can get it figured out soon ,, let us know.:grouphug:

vender 03-01-2010 04:43 PM

No real pain and it is not as if the leg is asleep. Just numb / dead weight. I just got a call from the anesthesiologist and he says not to worry it will come back on its own. He thinks it is from the positioning on the table during surgery. I do think the rib removal really helped with the TOS pain!! Any idea how long before I can say for sure it worked? Also does it just make your arm numb so you do not feel the pain? My arm is numb, right at the underside of my bicep.
Thanks JoMar.

Jomar 03-01-2010 05:28 PM

The TOS members that had surgery can help you better with the post op info.
You might need to copy your post to the TOS forum for more replies on that part of it.
Or I can copy it over there if you want me to.

I recall reading that some of the sensory nerves most likely do get affected /irritated during surgery so they will take a while to normalize.

Some have mentioned sometimes a year or more for total recovery, and of course be very careful of uses and accidents during that time.

Recovery is such a personal & specific thing - some probably recover quicker and we just don't hear from those that do really well..

watsonsh 03-01-2010 10:26 PM

They could have put you in a position during surgery where a nerve was impinged upon. Just a thought. Or the rib removal shifted something in your neck and there is pressure on your spine.