NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Trigeminal Neuralgia (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/)
-   -   ATN Question (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/115778-atn-question.html)

adimaria 03-01-2010 10:32 PM

ATN Question

I was diagnosed with ATN. Woke up one day with pain radiating up to my right ear so naturally the dentist thought it was a tooth problem. We could not figure out what tooth is was for sure b/c they all ached. That was 2 years ago. A root canal ...excruitating pain after, then tooth removed, even worse burning pain. Went on Gababpentin for 6 months and helped pain. Neuro weaned me off, then pain started coming back. A constant pain in the lower teeth on the right, pain in jaw, neck, under ear and back of head. MRI's showed no lesions and CT scan no vascular problems. Back on Gabapentin and just wondering where I go from here. This started 2 months after giving birth and I don't want to be like this forever. Since the neuro says is Atypical...how can I find the source of the problem. Is it worth it to take a trip out to MAYO Clinic. What other alternative therapies can I try besides accupuncture because that did nothing. What about nerve blocks, cranial sacrial etc. Any help and or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Can this be something else besides ATN?

bozena115 03-04-2010 09:07 AM

Hi,

I have this ATN since ages.

Atypical is called because here should be found the cause. I am afraid; you will wait very long time to find it.
I have lost four (4) healthy teeth's and on the end it wasn't the cause.
I am still looking to find the cause.

As I am in Europe, the only information I can give you:
in Oxford, UK ( is Medical Research Centre for TN or ATN.
I could go there, but need reference from my Neurologist. Nobody gave me references. To pay alone, I can't do that. I have lost all just because of this ATN.
If you can go there: it is the best solution. Otherwise you will suffer very long time.

Wish you good luck,
Bozena

adimaria 03-04-2010 09:32 AM

Thank You

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozena115 (Post 628653)
Hi,

I have this ATN since ages.

Atypical is called because here should be found the cause. I am afraid; you will wait very long time to find it.
I have lost four (4) healthy teeth's and on the end it wasn't the cause.
I am still looking to find the cause.

As I am in Europe, the only information I can give you:
in Oxford, UK ( is Medical Research Centre for TN or ATN.
I could go there, but need reference from my Neurologist. Nobody gave me references. To pay alone, I can't do that. I have lost all just because of this ATN.
If you can go there: it is the best solution. Otherwise you will suffer very long time.

Wish you good luck,
Bozena

Thank you for responding!

zonefive 03-17-2010 08:27 PM

Hello Adimaria,
Sorry to see that you have ATN, I have had it 4yrs now, I did go to Mayo with no help there and also to the University of MN. U of MN said there is not much you can do except try to subdo the pain. U of MN did say they used to do exploritory surgery to no avail Except causing other problems. My atn is on the left side of my head. I have tried a lot of differant meds, but as to date am taking Ultram ER 300MG once in the morning and during the day I take Tramadol HCL 50MG 2 tablets as needed. Any way good luck hope you find some relief soon.

Random 03-18-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonefive (Post 633797)
Hello Adimaria,
Sorry to see that you have ATN, I have had it 4yrs now, I did go to Mayo with no help there and also to the University of MN. U of MN said there is not much you can do except try to subdo the pain. U of MN did say they used to do exploritory surgery to no avail Except causing other problems. My atn is on the left side of my head. I have tried a lot of differant meds, but as to date am taking Ultram ER 300MG once in the morning and during the day I take Tramadol HCL 50MG 2 tablets as needed. Any way good luck hope you find some relief soon.

Ultram and Tramadol are the same thing.