NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   SSDI Back Pay Question regarding children (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/116847-ssdi-pay-question-regarding-children.html)

Achilles927 03-16-2010 09:16 AM

SSDI Back Pay Question regarding children

Hi all - hope this post finds all of you hanging in there! I have a question for those of you who may have experience with this in the past.

I was a lucky individual that was FINALLY approved for full SSDI on February 3rd 2010 after a 3 year battle. On March first I found, to my surprise, a lump sum payment in my bank account. While this is absolutely awesome, I have not yet received my award letter letting me know my monthly benefit, my childrens, benefits, etc. What I am curious about is this - I have seen many of you comment about getting your children's back pay...did that come as a separate payment/check? And if any of you were lucky enough to get a payment prior to getting an award, did your monthly benefit check start coming that month?

I hate looking a gift horse in the mouth, but it is a little frustrating not knowing what that money was for...was it mine, was it my kid,s was it everything? Anyway - any insight you can offer would be great! Thank all and take care.

karousel 03-16-2010 10:38 AM

After I received my award and back pay, I had to go to the SS office and give them my DD's bank account information. After they had this information, they deposited the back pay in there. My first regular monthly payment came separate from the back pay. It may be best to give SS a call and ask them.

Janke 03-16-2010 10:52 PM

Achilles, you need to apply to be payee for your children before benefits can be paid. Their benefits are in a separate check. SSA does not assume that all your children live with you. If you have children who live with another parent, that parent would be the proper payee. Call 1-800-772-1213 and make an appointment.

Also, if you are young and just barely insured for benefits (minimum number of quarters) the disability family maximum computation may reduce the children's benefits to a very small amount, even to zero.

legalmania 03-18-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achilles927 (Post 633182)
Hi all - hope this post finds all of you hanging in there! I have a question for those of you who may have experience with this in the past.

I was a lucky individual that was FINALLY approved for full SSDI on February 3rd 2010 after a 3 year battle. On March first I found, to my surprise, a lump sum payment in my bank account. While this is absolutely awesome, I have not yet received my award letter letting me know my monthly benefit, my childrens, benefits, etc. What I am curious about is this - I have seen many of you comment about getting your children's back pay...did that come as a separate payment/check? And if any of you were lucky enough to get a payment prior to getting an award, did your monthly benefit check start coming that month?

I hate looking a gift horse in the mouth, but it is a little frustrating not knowing what that money was for...was it mine, was it my kid,s was it everything? Anyway - any insight you can offer would be great! Thank all and take care.

The best thing to do is call your representative, at your local office don't call the 1-800 £ because sometimes they don't have the info the local office does.