NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Foot Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/117650-foot-pain.html)

Evonne 03-25-2010 10:26 PM

Foot Pain

I noticed that about an hour to an hour and a half after I take my Sinemet 25/100(three times a day), I start to have pain in the tops of my feet. My right foot is worse than my left. It feels as if somebody has stepped on my foot and bruised the top of it. It actually feels bruised inside and it makes walking uncomfortable. If I flex or point my foot it sometimes causes a charley horse. I mentioned this to my doctor at my last appointment and he told me that it is basically caused by the ebb and flow of dopamine in the brain. I am just curious, how many other people experience this?

stevem53 03-25-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evonne (Post 636903)
I noticed that about an hour to an hour and a half after I take my Sinemet 25/100(three times a day), I start to have pain in the tops of my feet. My right foot is worse than my left. It feels as if somebody has stepped on my foot and bruised the top of it. It actually feels bruised inside and it makes walking uncomfortable. If I flex or point my foot it sometimes causes a charley horse. I mentioned this to my doctor at my last appointment and he told me that it is basically caused by the ebb and flow of dopamine in the brain. I am just curious, how many other people experience this?

When my meds are either kicking in, or wearing off I get dyskinesia, and dystonia in my right leg..And If I try to skimp on the Sinemet, I stay dyskinetic and cramped up

lindylanka 03-26-2010 07:59 AM

dystonic feet

Evonne, this sounds like a wearing-on dystonia. I get these too, though my neuro says they are nothing to worry about, I don't like them, and am bothered by the fact he has a name for them but does not seem to want to explain the mechanism of why they happen. My best advice to alleviate them is keep them moving, do ankle turns, step them up and down, or simply go for a walk. I have learned to ignore the pain to a degree, as movement makes the problem go away more quickly. PD and our meds combined do seem to do things to our lower legs and our feet.

Lindy

Evonne 03-26-2010 06:01 PM

Thanks for your responses. It just makes me feel better knowing that I am not alone. I did a little experiment today. I skipped my lunch time Sinemet to see what happened. I didn't have the cramping in my foot like I had when I took the morning dose. So, I am guessing that my foot pain is the meds flooding into my system. I will just deal with it and try moving my foot, as was suggested by Lindy.