NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   gastric bypass surgery (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/117717-gastric-bypass-surgery.html)

doydie 03-26-2010 11:35 PM

gastric bypass surgery

My SIL had this surgery about 4 or 5 years ago. She was of course extremely obese and had most of the problems that obese people have, arthritis diabetes 11 and hypertension. But she was a beuatiful woman. Her ideal weight was supposed to be 135. She got there fairly rapidly, went on maintenence diet but continued to lose. She had difficulty staying above 110. Numerous problems with abdominal pain, they thought she had problems with the staples that were used to create the small pouch for a stomach. So yesterday morning she had severe pain again, taken to ER and they found out that the staples were no longer in place, the tissue was gangrenous and she had stomach content going out into her abdomen. So she is in ICU with a tube in about every God made hole plus a lot of Dr. made holes with a 50/50% chance to live. This was a vibrant 45 year old woman. So she was stable enough today to go back to surgery and they reversed the bypass and she will have a feeding tube in her small bowel to feed her while the stomach itself has a chance to heal. All this will be able to happen IF she has a good enough nutrtional stutus for her body to heal. So she will be in ICU for about 4 more days, touch and go.

Koala77 03-26-2010 11:41 PM

I'm so sorry to read this Doydie. I'll be keeping your SIL in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us up to date as to how she's doing.:smileypray:

Hugs for you as well as I can imagine how stressful this must be for the whole family.:hug:

Twinkletoes 03-27-2010 12:04 AM

Wow, I knew that surgery had its risks, but I had no idea gangrene was one of them. :(

I hope she is able to pull through all these complications and recover quickly. :hug:

Aarcyn 03-27-2010 12:14 AM

oh Doydie. I hope all goes well. Cyn

AfterMyNap 03-27-2010 07:10 AM

Whoa. I'll be praying for her, Doyd, this is very frightening. :(

Kitty 03-27-2010 08:58 AM

Prayers being said for all of you, Doydie. Please keep us updated on her improvement.

barb02 03-27-2010 09:02 AM

What a horrible experience! Hope that she is able to recover from this.

Dejibo 03-27-2010 10:31 AM

OMG :eek: Im so sorry. Please give her gentle hugs from us. :hug: I hope someone calls the MD that did her surgery to say WTH dude?! :mad:

karousel 03-27-2010 12:29 PM

How how horrible. I'm so sorry your SIL and the entire family is going through this. I will keep all of you in my prayers and thoughts for a speedy recovery for your SIL.

SallyC 03-27-2010 02:40 PM

Oh my goodness, Doyds, I am so sorry about your Sister. Please tell her we are praying for her. :smileypray::smileypray:

Is this the same Sister who broke her foot?

I have a Friend, whose DD had the staple bypass and she has had some problems, but nothing like that. :eek:

:hug: