NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   SCS & Pain Pumps (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/)
-   -   SCS problems after charging... (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/117848-scs-charging.html)

lhutter 03-29-2010 09:34 AM

SCS problems after charging...

Hello all!

My wife has had a spinal cord stimulator for a number of years as the result of an accident back in 2004. Periodically she would have severe pain in the heart area, difficulty breathing, blood pressure drops dramatically, feeling faint (occasionally passing out), sort of mild stroke symptoms (out of it, slow thinking, dizzy). These seem to last a couple of days and then everything's ok. She's been in the hospital many times recently and they have verified it's not a heart issue.

Just recently I noticed a definite correlation between when she charges her stimulator and then the next day she has these symptoms. This has been going on for maybe 4 months and has gotten progressively worse. Has anyone ever heard of these issues with stimulators? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Lorne

lhutter 03-29-2010 01:43 PM

I should clafify that although she has had the implant for several years, the the above symptoms have only existed for the last handful of months and it all seems to stem from charging her SCS unit.

Thanks!
Lorne

Mark56 03-29-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhutter (Post 638073)
I should clafify that although she has had the implant for several years, the the above symptoms have only existed for the last handful of months and it all seems to stem from charging her SCS unit.

Thanks!
Lorne

Hi Lorne- I am a newbie, but considering implant surgery. Today, my discussion with the surgeon related to the ANS unit although he has inserted all manufactured, the Biometrics, Medtronics, and ANS and has no bias regarding any of the brands. Can you share the brand of the unit your wife uses? Thank you, and I hope you and your wife find the solution to this problem soon!! Give her a hug, :hug:

Mark56

lhutter 03-29-2010 07:57 PM

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, she doesn't remember off the top of her head who made the unit, but will look into it and I'll try to get some word back to you. I do know that she has been happy with the results on her back. The issues she's having are likely due to something that may have happened to the unit or maybe something different in her chemistry? Sorry I can't be of more help at this point. Hope all goes well for you!

Lorne

Rrae 03-29-2010 11:04 PM

Hello Lorne

I'm sorry to hear of your wife's symptoms. It must be very frightening. :(
I have to say, you've got me pretty stumped on this one! :Scratch-Head:

Does she have her original battery from the implant in 2004?
Where is the battery implanted?
Have you contacted the company's representative regarding this?
IF she still has her original battery, the IPG will eventually reach a point when it's battery fails to hold a practical charge

has she made any recent changes regarding how she charges her unit...such as, is she near a possible source of electromagnetic interference while charging.....
Does she get a fever with these symptoms you describe?

Has she had an MRI? That would be a big no no.
I hope all her healthcare providers are aware she has the SCS.

Any recent lifestyle changes, such as working near certain machinery that could potentially affect her charge....

Does she have a pacemaker also?

Since these new symptoms have only recently presented themselves, I would make certain all her healthcare providers are aware of what's going on, as she may have a new diagnostic issue....

These were the issues that came to mind.....you don't have to answer all those questions.....I was just throwing some ideas out there.

Have you contacted the physician who did the implant?

I'm sorry I seemed to have posed a thousand more questions to the ones you asked! :o
This is certainly something the medical professionals need to be aware of !

Have any of them advised her to turn the stimulator OFF for a period of time to see if her symptoms continued to present themselves?

Please let us know what you find out!

Meanwhile, I pray for answers to you and your wife....
:hug:
Rae

lhutter 03-30-2010 10:23 AM

The battery is to the right of her lower back, near the kidney area. One thing we did notice recently is an area of sort of fatty tissue in the middle of her back directly over the spine. Not sure if it is scar tissue that is building up or if it's related or not, but it has been slowly getting larger over the past handful of months as well. She thinks there may be a wire going to that area, but could not remember for sure. She is going to call the surgeon's office that installed the implant today and make an appointment to get his thoughts.

Lorne

Rrae 03-30-2010 06:42 PM

Hi Lorne!
I hope your Dr's office will be able to see her soon :)
Please let us know how the Dr visit turns out ok!

I'm very very curious as to whether her condition has to do with her SCS directly.
By sharing our stories here, we are able to 'learn' from one another's experiences.
Perhaps your wife's experience may help someone else in the future.......so, thank you for coming to the SCS forum!

Please stay in touch and
Best Wishes :hug:

Rae

lhutter 03-30-2010 08:09 PM

Will do Rae! Thank you for the kind thoughts too! :) It'll be interesting to see what the actual problem is. I work in a research and developement lab in engineering, so I'm chomping at the bit to find the root cause. lol

Lorne

Rrae 03-30-2010 08:17 PM

Me too!

Yes, I am very curious to what is causing these symptoms...
You're poor wife! :( Try and help her keep from letting her imagination go too crazy...... that extra stress certainly won't help....

P.S. ..... you being an engineer in research and development.........if you happen to come across that certain "Magic Bullet Pill" we've all so desperately been searching for....please let us be the first to know ! :p