NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   cymbalta for spinal stenosis nerve pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/118038-cymbalta-spinal-stenosis-nerve-pain.html)

grounded 03-31-2010 10:38 PM

cymbalta for spinal stenosis nerve pain

I am seeking information about the side effects of Cymbalta. I have gained 20# and am eating a regulated diet.
When taking a second treadmill test my blood pressure spiked to 240.
Also, since I wake up in the morning with my right leg stinging, my doctor suggested taking 400mg Ibuprofen with the 60mg Cymbalta.
I have also developed symptoms that are very similar to peripheral vascular disease. A year ago I could easily climb any hill during a hike. Now my calves and gluteal muscles are so tight and painful that I have to stop often.
Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

"grounded"

Leesa 04-05-2010 07:27 AM

Hi ~ It sounds to me like you certainly don't need Cymbalta. While it's true that it does have "some" pain properties in it, it is NOT primarily intended for pain relief. It's major intent is for depression! That's probably why you gained weight.

Have you had an MRI? If not, you need one with and without contrast material. It sounds to me like this could be spinal related, possibly a disc problem. Your symptoms are like mine, and I have sciatica. I've had it for 24 years, and it's awful! Mine is caused by the spine (discs) and I have to take pain medication along with other meds for the burning & tingling and stinging. I'd suggest asking your doc for an MRI if you haven't had one. If you HAVE had one but it's been over a year, you need another one to see what's going on.

Best of luck and I hope you can get some answers. Please let us know what you find out. God bless. hugs, Lee :D

aussiemom 04-08-2010 06:52 PM

Hi
I do take Cymbalta for pain relief. I wish I could take a higher dose, but can't deal with the side effects, the wackiest dreams, night sweats. Ugh. But it does help me, most of the time. Unless I get silly and try to do too much, I can function.

The other poster is correct that it was originally developed for depression, but it was found to help relieve pain. It is currently being marketed both ways.

Rrae 04-08-2010 07:12 PM

Hello Grounded

Welcome to NT, tho I'm sorry for the circumstances that brought you here....:(
Make sure you get regular blood testing for liver enzymes .....

Tho, I can't say for sure that it actually helped my PN pain, I would get overheated VERY easily and sweated aLOT. Wasn't worth it to me.....

I took it for a little over a year........

Good Luck
Rae
:hug: