NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   acdf questions (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/11836-acdf-questions.html)

printerhead 01-23-2007 03:27 PM

new, with questions..

Hi!
My name is Dave, and I am awaiting acdf on C5-6, and C 6-7. I am having a lot of pain, and my surgery is not until end of february. I am also interested in info on what to expect after surgery. I would sure appreciate any info anyone may have, as I am getting conflicting info from Doctors and other folks who "know someone" who has had this procedure.
Thanks so much!,
Dave

Curious 01-23-2007 03:37 PM

hi dave

Here is a thread on Spinal Disorders that might help:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=11217

printerhead 01-23-2007 03:55 PM

Thanks! I appreciate that!

Curious 01-23-2007 04:00 PM

you are very welcome. :)

would it be alright if i moved your post to Spinal Disorders? i think you might get more replies there, since it more of the bone issue than a spinal cord injury or disease.

posting on Chronic Pain too will reach more people.

printerhead 01-23-2007 04:13 PM

acdf questions

Hi! like I said before, I am new here, and am confused still about how this works.
I am having acdf on c5-6 and 6-7 end of february and am concerned because my doctor says i can return to work in 2 weeks. I have no sick leave, and only enough saved for about 3 weeks of bills....I can hardly work as is though, so it has to be done. A discogram showed that both discs "leaked out" immediately, which prompted 3 different docs to call for surgery. My Doc says he will build my neck "like a tank" and says he understands the work I do and after 2 weeks "I could be dropped on my head" and not have a problem..He is very optimistic and a great guy, but...am I in for something else?...please give me some hints.
Thanks!
Dave

Jill1004 01-24-2007 07:52 PM

Hi Dave. I had ACDF with instrumentation at C5/6 and C6/7 in 11/05. I too was in a lot of pain with numbness in my upper back/shoulder, numbness and tingling down my left arm, muscle wasting in my L hand, I dropped things constantly, etc.

I was in ICU for four days after my surgery and was then brought to a regular room and discharged the next day. I was fortunate to only have a soft cervical collar, which was more for my own comfort and to make others around me aware that I had had surgery and to be careful.

My surgery lasted almost 9 hours, 2 of which was the "prep" time after I was asleep where they attached the device to my head that held it steady during the surgery, the arterial line, all the monitors, etc. I woke up with a drain in my neck, a catheter in my bladder and a Morphine pump. I was given more than enough pain meds to keep me comfortable. I slept a lot while in the hospital. If a nurse, doctor or visitor wasn't in my room, I was asleep. I did notice an incredible improvement in my grip strength immediately after surgery.

I did have difficulty swallowing due to my incision, but I don't recall that being awful by any means, as I had no appetite for a few weeks anyhow. Once home my pain was very manageable and by five days later I was on minimal doses of meds, but always took them at night. About 3 weeks post op I started driving here and there. Little things exhausted me. It wasn't until three months after the surgery that I started physical therapy.

I wish I could say mine was a "happy ending" but I have had issues since about six months after surgery. I in NO way regret my surgery, and there are some extenuating circumstances. I don't want to get into anything and freak you or anyone else out that is going to have surgery soon.

I have only the utmost faith and confidence in my surgeon, and when the time comes for my next surgery (and it will) I would have no one but this guy do it. The issues I have now are in no way a reflection of his medical skills.

If you have any questions... anything at all... please feel free to send me a personal message and I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

Best of luck to you!!!

Jill ~

Curious 01-24-2007 07:58 PM

Welcome to NeuroTalk Jill.

wow..what a wonderful post. so much helpful information. :)