NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   SSDI and travel (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/118527-ssdi-travel.html)

tobey 04-05-2010 07:49 PM

SSDI and travel

Could a person receiving SSDI ever go on a vacation? Would it suggest you could work 40 hours a week/52 weeks a year?

Hoosier_Daddy 04-05-2010 11:58 PM

I would assume so. How would they know any difference if you went or not.

Janke 04-06-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobey (Post 640799)
Could a person receiving SSDI ever go on a vacation? Would it suggest you could work 40 hours a week/52 weeks a year?

What kind of vacation are you talking about? An active vacation involving skin diving, sky diving, horseback riding, backpacking, riding quads or jet skis all day, surfing, rock climbing, golfing all day,.

Or sitting in a comfortable chair in a resort community reading a book and playing checkers in between naps?

Jomar 04-06-2010 11:33 AM

At some point in time people might have to travel for family functions, weddings, funerals, vacations, etc, as long as you are not doing things that could be questioned , there should be no problem.IMO

But I wouldn't announce it or publicize that you went on a vacation.

some might think of vacation as "relaxed and mellow" while some think of "action & doing"

another reason to not announce or post about trips-
a family posted on facebook about going away for a week - you guessed it they got robbed by a "friend" from facebook.
luckily they had a webcam on to monitor the home while away and the bad guys got videoed

you just never know who might read things you posted on the internet.

SandyC 04-06-2010 11:39 AM

Well if it's illegal I guess we're in big trouble! LOL I agree, if your not doing something that can be considered "not disabled" I don't think you need to worry. We've been on cruises and many road trips without any problems. Just because your disabled doesn't mean you can't have a vacation. :wink:

legalmania 04-07-2010 12:28 AM

I had a job a while back watching people on Workers Comp. I video taped and caught a lot of people working on vehicles, carrying groceries, working on their houses lifting and doing other activities that they said they couldn't do like stand, sit or walk, for long periods of time, they had to pay back WC. So if you do go just watch yourself, don't do the things you claimed you can't. By the way it's not a good job long hours stuck in a car, following people around it's back breaking and stressful. Then you have to testify in court against them.

Hoosier_Daddy 04-08-2010 10:41 AM

I am glad that was you doing that job. I don't think there is enough money for me to "Spy" on people like that. anyway I don't think the Government has the money to watch people and worry if they go on vacation or do things of this sort. I will tell you some people do get on disability that do not deserve it. After I started back in April of 2006 applying for mine. My brother in law decided he was disabled due to depression. Well I won this past June and he won in September. He worked on cars resold them sold prescription pills and the like. So it has been tough for me biting my tongue knowing there is 0 wrong with him other than wanting to stay home with his daughter. But he did marry my sister and I have to worry about her. So there are ways to win and NOT be disabled.

echoes long ago 04-08-2010 12:31 PM

Tobey you havent been around since you first posted this but the best thing you can possibly do is to keep your business to yourself, with neighbors, friends and relatives. Many people get jealous of those who are on disability and you would be surprised as to who makes calls on whom. Loose lips sink ships.

legalmania 04-08-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy (Post 642030)
I am glad that was you doing that job. I don't think there is enough money for me to "Spy" on people like that. anyway I don't think the Government has the money to watch people and worry if they go on vacation or do things of this sort. I will tell you some people do get on disability that do not deserve it. After I started back in April of 2006 applying for mine. My brother in law decided he was disabled due to depression. Well I won this past June and he won in September. He worked on cars resold them sold prescription pills and the like. So it has been tough for me biting my tongue knowing there is 0 wrong with him other than wanting to stay home with his daughter. But he did marry my sister and I have to worry about her. So there are ways to win and NOT be disabled.

I wouldn't call it spying I was hired by the Attorney Generals office to help stop fraud. It's not fair to the people who are really ill . I'm a big advocate against fraud and will not tolerate it. I understand you holding your tongue against your brother in law, but if he gets busted your sister could go down with him, they could lose everything. If I were you I would talk her into getting away from him, would it make you feel better if she ends up in jail and your nieces life turned upside down?

legalmania 04-08-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 642077)
Tobey you havent been around since you first posted this but the best thing you can possibly do is to keep your business to yourself, with neighbors, friends and relatives. Many people get jealous of those who are on disability and you would be surprised as to who makes calls on whom. Loose lips sink ships.

You got that right echoses, I use to get so much information from neighbors, because they know when your going and coming. There is usually one neighbor who's feels their job is to peak out the windows, and try to figure out what their neighbors are up to.