NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Trigeminal Neuralgia (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/)
-   -   Withdrawal symptoms when coming off Tegretol (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/119271-withdrawal-symptoms-coming-tegretol.html)

Bayley 04-13-2010 05:36 PM

Withdrawal symptoms when coming off Tegretol

Hi,

Yes I know, lucky me, please don't hate me :eek:

Has anyone ever been fortunate to decrease their dose albeit gradually? And if so, have you had side effects and can you describe them?

Post MVD (a long time ago in 94) I was suddenly cold turkey after only 1 day prior being on 2200mg. This was a slightly different scenario being full of painkillers etc, and then I had breakthru so had to return to meds etc.

I'm currently post surgery (cryo) & have been having problems with gradually decreasing. My latest med appmt has resulted in being told to increase slightly and withdraw far more slowly (have been dropping 200mg weekly from 1400mg) as there is suspicion that withdrawal symptoms are playing their part.

I hope this is making sense.

supermoo 04-14-2010 09:25 AM

I cant really advise as I'm allergic to Tegratol. Just wanted to say good luck with things and hope they stay good for you hun. Love Jackie xxx :hug::grouphug:

Burntmarshmallow 04-14-2010 02:15 PM

I am Ditto with supermoo allergic .
But I have come off many other meds and never had an easy time usualy I would end up in hosp... like an addict with the shakes, very sick and all that.

I pray God dose not let that happen to you. Just go very slowly and follow doctors suggestions. if you think it is to much to fast ... do it slower.
I hope everything goes fairly smooth for you .:hug:
Sending positive healing thoughts to you.
Let us know how you are doing.
PEACE
BMW

Bayley 04-14-2010 04:47 PM

That's nice, thanks Jackie.
Am originally from Staffs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by supermoo (Post 644200)
I cant really advise as I'm allergic to Tegratol. Just wanted to say good luck with things and hope they stay good for you hun. Love Jackie xxx :hug::grouphug:

Bayley 04-14-2010 04:51 PM

Thanks, you're very kind & supportive. I've not reduced it this week after deciding to listen to my own body, I'm sure I have a withdrawal effect, but have not found any posts re this anywhere in detail as such.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burntmarshmallow (Post 644303)
I am Ditto with supermoo allergic .
But I have come off many other meds and never had an easy time usualy I would end up in hosp... like an addict with the shakes, very sick and all that.

I pray God dose not let that happen to you. Just go very slowly and follow doctors suggestions. if you think it is to much to fast ... do it slower.
I hope everything goes fairly smooth for you .:hug:
Sending positive healing thoughts to you.
Let us know how you are doing.
PEACE
BMW

Doodle bug7 04-14-2010 05:59 PM

Big red spots from Tegretol

I couldn't take Tegretol as I had an allergic reaction to it.
I broke out in big red spots like measles. It didn't go away for a week! Take care, Doodle bug7

Bayley 04-14-2010 09:08 PM

Hi there, I've read a lot about the Tegretol rash, it's quite common isn't it. I don't know what I'd do without Tegretol as it is the only med that helps me. What do you take as an alternative - just out of curiosity?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doodle bug7 (Post 644363)
I couldn't take Tegretol as I had an allergic reaction to it.
I broke out in big red spots like measles. It didn't go away for a week! Take care, Doodle bug7

supermoo 04-15-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayley (Post 644431)
Hi there, I've read a lot about the Tegretol rash, it's quite common isn't it. I don't know what I'd do without Tegretol as it is the only med that helps me. What do you take as an alternative - just out of curiosity?

My GP tried me on Pregabalin (Lyrica) Its ment to have less side affects but I reacted to that. So I'm now on Amitriptyline. Low dose Don't really help but lets me sleep. xxxxx

jjlsongbird 04-21-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayley (Post 643966)

Has anyone ever been fortunate to decrease their dose albeit gradually? And if so, have you had side effects and can you describe them?

I wrote this at the beginning of this year.

"Though it isn't well documented, I've seen references to people feeling anxiety, having emotional ups and downs and having trouble sleeping as they decrease Tegretol. I think that is part of what's going on for me. I frequently feel like I could cry. This past week I decreased it 200 mg. Now it will be 100 a week. I hope I adjust and don't feel more of those things!"

I don't think I got any responses but that was my experience. Also, it could be dangerous to decrease too quickly so take it slow.

I hope it goes well for you!

Bayley 04-23-2010 05:56 AM

Just a bit further to go...

Hi, thanks so much for your post. I was decreasing by 200mg/weekly also, I could cry for the country but am over that hopefully. I was having trouble sleeping also, and am over that (again, hopefully!). I am down to just the 200mg daily, but feel reluctant now to go all the way, its like I feel the need to keep it within my system, just in case. Its the fear of the TN monster. I hope that you are doing ok after your decrease ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjlsongbird (Post 646637)
I wrote this at the beginning of this year.

"Though it isn't well documented, I've seen references to people feeling anxiety, having emotional ups and downs and having trouble sleeping as they decrease Tegretol. I think that is part of what's going on for me. I frequently feel like I could cry. This past week I decreased it 200 mg. Now it will be 100 a week. I hope I adjust and don't feel more of those things!"

I don't think I got any responses but that was my experience. Also, it could be dangerous to decrease too quickly so take it slow.

I hope it goes well for you!