NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   What is vitamin D3? (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/120412-vitamin-d3.html)

JustWeave 04-24-2010 06:35 PM

What is vitamin D3?

I just bought some "for her" vitamins by Nature Made. They list vitamin D3 instead of plain old D. What is the difference?

mrsD 04-25-2010 03:01 AM

Vitamin D3 is the active form of D. Historically D2 was in vitamins and the RX version is still D2, but that is changing. D2 is less active and the storage form. All the new testing and research is focusing on active D3 now. Labels today are reflecting the new awareness of the public for having supplements in the D3 form.

D2 is also called ergocalciferol.
D3 is cholecalciferol.

Alffe 04-25-2010 12:23 PM

This is interesting to me. I got my paperwork yesterday from my dr for my fasting bloodwork to be done before my upcoming yearly physical. One of the tests she's ordered is Vitamin D (25-0H) She's never before tested my level of Vit. D...I take 1000 I.U. with D3 daily.

I'll be interested in the results.

JustWeave 04-25-2010 04:38 PM

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I picked the best of the D options.

mrsD 04-25-2010 04:41 PM

I would also suggest you get your D3 in a liquigel form not a dry capsule or dry tablet. I think it is better absorbed that way.

NatureMade makes both types.

Alffe 05-24-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 648254)
I would also suggest you get your D3 in a liquigel form not a dry capsule or dry tablet. I think it is better absorbed that way.

NatureMade makes both types.

After reading your suggestion Mrs.D, I went in search of D3 in Liquigel form and only found it in 2000 strength...have been taking it ever since...do you think the 2000 strength daily is too much? Getting my fasting bloodwork done this week.

Thanks for all your help...I repeat..you are a treasure! :grouphug:

mrsD 05-24-2010 08:12 AM

2000IU is now the starting dose for people who do not get testing.

The doctors on the links from grassrootshealth.net and vitamindcouncil both recommend that dose to begin.

You will still probably test low, since about 1/2 of the US is predicted as low. Hubby and I take 5000IU daily except when we are outside alot now. I'll probably stop completely in late June, until Sept. I use my tan as an indicator.

We use NOW brand from iherb online. 120 caps for about $8. They just came out with the 5000IU this past fall.

Alffe 05-24-2010 08:59 AM

Thank you! So glad I asked. :) A bottle of 300 cost 17.98 but fortunately it was buy one, get another one free. So depending on what my dr. says...I could take two a day.