NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Editorial hissy fit (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/122255-editorial-hissy-fit.html)

AfterMyNap 05-16-2010 01:05 PM

Editorial hissy fit

Highway construction zones:

A highway worker was struck only a couple miles from my house this morning in a clearly marked construction zone. He is in critical condition and it's touch-and-go.

It never ceases to disgust or amaze me how many of our fellow Americans live as if they are above the law. Speeding is a crime, speeding in a construction zone is a crime AND a disturbing reminder of how little we care about one another as human beings.

As summer begins, we will surely hear more and more similar stories and I implore everyone to stay alert, obey the LAW, and if you're adult enough to drive, act like an adult, put your *&%$# toys away and just drive.

Be smart, be safe.

Thank you.

Kitty 05-16-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aftermynap (Post 655246)
if you're adult enough to drive, act like an adult and put your *&%$# toys away and just drive.

Amen!!!!!!

SallyC 05-16-2010 02:46 PM

I Ditto that Amen.

I will say a prayer for that worker, AMN. I hope he/she will be OK.

Debbie D 05-16-2010 03:59 PM

Prayers for the worker...

when will we all learn?:(

SandyC 05-16-2010 04:57 PM

Warning, graphic video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKm0s2xi3YU

Everyone should be forced to watch this type of video before they drive or renew their dl. It should be part of drivers education.

JustWeave 05-16-2010 08:36 PM

Ditto Amen!!!!!! A flagger from a neighboring county was struck and killed recently. His body was thrown 150 feet. :eek:

FinLady 05-17-2010 08:22 AM

I've had people ride my bumper through construction zones. I mean, come on! :mad: There's a reason we need to slow down for stuff like that. Even if it's just a utility crew on the side of the road, I slow down as a just in case. Things happen when people are working on stuff.

Kitty 05-17-2010 08:49 AM

What's the big hurry, everybody? I mean, is the 3 seconds you gain by riding my bumper really going to make a difference? :mad: When someone rides my tail.......it just makes me go slower. Cindy, how is the worker doing? Any word?

We have a law here in GA that states you must move one lane over if you see a law enforcement officer with a stopped car in the emergency lane. Do people follow this rule? Heck, no! And who's going to catch them? Like the officer is going to leave the scene in order to stop the dingbat that blew right past him. :rolleyes: I wish one day they would have another officer watching and ready to go after the offenders. I'd pay to see that happen! ;)

Personally, I think each highway worker should be equipped with a laser that could flatten the tires of any car that endangered their life! :cool:

AfterMyNap 05-17-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 655524)
...Cindy, how is the worker doing? Any word?

...Personally, I think each highway worker should be equipped with a laser that could flatten the tires of any car that endangered their life! :cool:

There was only a small tidbit about him today, he's stable and will be in the hospital a while longer. They did say the poor kid is only 22. What a shame on so many levels. :mad: The driver is in custody and the latest is that alcohol was involved. The community outrage is calling for his head on a platter. I will be among those who write to his judge in support of maximum penalty.

It doesn't look good for arming highway workers any time soon, but I won't be surprised if in our lifetime, a system is developed to control traffic electronically. My theory (out of my own ideas, no citations) is that cars and highways will come equipped with UPC symbols and scanners that will mandate vehicle speeds at the onramp and according to road conditions.

It wouldn't be that simple on surface streets but it does not seem impossible at this stage in technology. I'd support it (unless I was again crossing Montana).

Remember that song, "In the year 2525,..."? I think Zager & Evans were not only visionary, but perhaps unwitting prophets!

lor 05-17-2010 10:20 AM

I wasn't close, but I saw a bycyclist at a crosswalk, fly up in the air & then I watched the car speed away. I tried to get his lisence but there were things blocking my view & he was fast to turn down a side street.