NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   Important question. I've been looking everywhere (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/12259-question-ive-looking.html)

LucyQueenofPain 01-30-2007 02:18 AM

Important question. I've been looking everywhere

Hello,
I'll be blunt. I want to return to University, and can only handle very part time. Am I able to do this and still retain my only income which is $750 in SSDI payments. Also, because of my disabilities, can I get schooling paid for.
Lucy.

Jomar 01-30-2007 12:45 PM

Hi lucy,
I don't know the answer to your question but I think quite a few do go to school and still get disability money.
Also check up in our useful sticky above on the main page for this topic- I think there a re sites that you can find answers on.
hopefully someone with first hand knowledge will reply too.

caudaequinasyndrome 01-30-2007 10:24 PM

i am sure you can, with the ticket to work you can go back to work without losing benfite for awhile

Julie 01-31-2007 09:22 AM

Check at the university for grants, scholarships, etc. Just don't get involved in student loans.

I'm glad you are feeling good enough to go back to school. I'm hoping to be able to do that next fall to finish my degree.

siccy 01-31-2007 10:53 AM

hi

have you tried rehab commission?I do not know if they will help for part time.But they do offer online classes as well as transportation.wishing you the best. siccy;)

Wittesea 01-31-2007 11:40 AM

I have been getting SSDI for many years, and I went to school for one semester and it did not effect my SSDI at all.

I went through a CDR (disability review) right after I finished the semester at school - and I informed them on the CDR that I had gone to school, and my benefits did not change at all and once the review was over they said I was still disabled.

So for me, going to school did not cause any problems with my benefits at all.

monicad1974 02-01-2007 05:25 AM

In high school I was linked up with vocational rehab canslor. They help you in recovery to get help with school stuff like collage. Also help getting a job. I am 32 now but when I thought I was getting better a few years ago I was wanting to go back to school. I got sick again but they told me they kept my file and could reopen it at anytime. If I remember right my county social service office got me the info to get in touch with them. They can also do testing to see if you may be able to work. Employers contact them looking for people that are disabled to hire. They can use it for a hugh tax deduction and they can say they are part of EOE... meaning they don't concider race, gender or disability.

Another think it is nice to be able to work and not try to hide being sick for fear of being fired,

DiMarie 02-12-2007 04:11 PM

Training

Office of vocational rehab handled cost for my training and equipment. I was awarded SSDI while attending school, so they do not cut it for school. I ahve since graduated, become employed working under $500 a month (I can earn under $800 for ssdi to affect it and have on going disability),
My last coorapondance, I gave my ticket to work to office of vacational rehab in August to purchase ewuipment for waork a lap top and software needs. OCR and dragon naturally speaking.

THe ticket to work is a last resort. It gives you nothing except it can prevent a review for medical improvement. I never got one as I had established on going. Keep all medial appointments, refill medications, do your PT to show ongoing. THis shows the ongoing disability.

As a last resort I had to use the ticket, voc rehab wanted funds for purchasing me the nearly $5,000 in equipment.
Office of vocational rehab did have $1,700 or so a semester for school funds. I also had to fill out the state and federal grants and received monies from them.

IF you do work, all medications, any special equipment and even cost of transportation if you need a ride as you can't drive are offset from the $800.
I went to school only 9 credits or three classes a semester. It took me three years to do the two years I needed for my BA. I could take my exams at an untimed pace in a quiet room, I could use my computer and dictate, If needed I could use a tape recoreder for lectures.

This was through the college office to manage disabled students needs.
Good luck, it is very rewarding to challange ourself and achieve something no one can take away. Even if I can't work full time right now, I am working up at a pace I can. I am doing an excellant job for my employer.

I went form being in law enforcement my near whole life to supervising court ordered monitored visits for noncustodial parents.
Just pm me if you have any wuestions,
Dianne