NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   N-a-c (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/122783-n-a-c.html)

watsonsh 05-23-2010 08:57 PM

N-a-c

N Acetyl Cysteine....anyone use? And whats it known for?

mrsD 05-24-2010 05:34 AM

NAC is a precursor to glutathione synthesis.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/cysteine-000298.htm

watsonsh 05-24-2010 11:26 AM

Thanks I was reading that it also helps thin out mucus. Was thinking of adding it in for my allergies which are really bad.

Also read you should take vitamin with it for some reason.

Mslday 06-17-2010 11:40 PM

Hi Shelly,

I tried a 3 month course of it last year. I started it after reading a study out of the Netherlands that indicated that it could be beneficial for people who have "cold" RSD which I have. I did find that I responded well to it and felt that I was more tolerant of cold drafts and temperatures.

The only reason I stopped was because I'm at that point in mid life and I started to suffer from what felt like very extreme frequent hot flashes. I don't think it was related to the NAC rather just that my hormones were quite unbalanced with the onset of menopause.

Hope that helps.

MsL

EarthGirl 07-01-2010 08:18 PM

Hi Shelley, Ms L and others,
This is interesting to me as i have been medically prescribed a supplement containing NAC as anti-oxidants for treatment of impaired liver function with symptoms of chemical sensitivities. I also was diagnosed with pre-diabetes (which also leads to liver damage).

I was told, as an aside at the time, (5 years ago) that a compromised liver is associated with hot 'flushes' (I'm from Oz) and actually found that whilst taking the supplement the frequency and duration of flushes improved.

I then deducted that any liver stress was linked to flushes and I found I could predictably cause flushes by having (my)stressor foods - sugars /dairy products especially. NAC is beneficial to the liver and as the liver detoxes excesses of all manner - including hormones - you may have actually needed more! (And maybe need to address emotional reactions too?)

Glutathione is manufactured in the body according to need, and so needs appropriate nutrient to be available too. PS I am still taking the supplement but only at 30% prescribed level as it is too expensive for me even though I ship it more cheaply from US.

Re the allergy query it makes sense too, to involve NAC/glutathione as the liver is working hard at detoxing these conditions also. Help the liver further by avoiding sugar and HFCS products as current research is showing the fructose in these is causing fatty liver and more AND interesting again Vit C is able to moderate this effect!

Hope this is useful to you all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mslday (Post 666173)
Hi Shelly,

I tried a 3 month course of it last year. I started it after reading a study out of the Netherlands that indicated that it could be beneficial for people who have "cold" RSD which I have. I did find that I responded well to it and felt that I was more tolerant of cold drafts and temperatures.

The only reason I stopped was because I'm at that point in mid life and I started to suffer from what felt like very extreme frequent hot flashes. I don't think it was related to the NAC rather just that my hormones were quite unbalanced with the onset of menopause.

Hope that helps.

MsL

Ogal 06-20-2014 11:36 AM

Hi there,
I was wondering about the NAC. Did you try the pill form of the N-acetylcysteine effervescent tablets? Where did you find them? Did you need a prescription? How do you know if you have cold or warm rsd? Thank you

Dr. Smith 06-21-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogal (Post 1076979)
Did you need a prescription?

Hi Ogal, welcome.

A prescription is not required for NAC—it is considered a dietary supplement and is available OTC at many outlets and online.

I'm not familiar with either pill form or effervescent tablets; I am familiar with bulk form and capsules—the latter of which I've taken for years as an antioxidant and to help protect liver & kidneys, though it has many many other uses.

As with anything/everything else we ingest, it has its risks as well as benefits, so please investigate thoroughly, and run it by your doctor/pharmacist before trying. ;)

Acetylcysteine

N - ACETYL CYSTEINE

Doc

Vowel Lady 06-22-2014 07:17 PM

I have heard many times that since it is a precursor to glutathione, it is an excellent supplement. Glutathione is said to be one of the best antioxidants....likely would help to prevent cancer. I take it because of this idea. I also have Sjogrens Syndrome and have problems with saliva...so this would be a nice bonus

I get mine from whole Foods.

Heard there are patches now (not available at WF)

Breia Lee 06-25-2014 09:06 PM

People being treated for lyme take NAC for detoxification purposes, as it was found to be helpful in lessening the damage done by antibiotics in lyme patients. Supposedly it lessens the oxidative stress that occurs from either antibiotics or from some natural herbs used for the treatment of lyme. I also found this on NAC:

http://womenshealthency.com/articles...etyl-cysteine/