NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Eye twitching/spasms (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/1229-eye-twitching-spasms.html)

Aussie99 09-20-2006 07:40 PM

Eye twitching/spasms

Hi guys,

Have any of you noticed any eye spasms or twitching in eye muscles? I don't have blinking, but I have a very fine mucsle spasm on my lower lid, and upper lid sometimes of right eye. It is worse with stress & fatigue. The truth is I have had it even before PN really, but the last 3 weeks it also now appears in my left eye too. But much less in left eye. It's very slight as I said,ad sometimes it actually feels as if my eyeball is stickig to the eyelid. I also have very dry eyes,ad my very first sigh of P was actaully i both eyes with itese burig for 2 days. My sight is totally normal, thankfully. The spasms do not hurt, they are a nuisance more than anything.

Thank you:)

Silverlady 09-20-2006 10:29 PM

Eye Spasms

Have you had your eyes checked recently? Dryness needs to be monitored. It can cause serious damage to the retina. I have had spasms in the past and my doctor told me it was due to stress at the time. And I was stressed. It finally went away. At night my eyes used to stick shut and I have to take drops and put in the corners to loosen the eyeball from the lid gradually before I could open my eyes. I use night moisture goggles now and don't have to worry about that. I just put my eye gel in and then the goggles and no problem. Except my husband calls me his little purple eyed bug now. Last pair of goggles I got were purple. :)

Billye

Aussie99 09-21-2006 05:34 AM

Thanks Silverlady

I had my eyes checked 5 months ago. They are very very dry,painful, and burning. I have been checked for various illnesses that cause dry eyes like mine, but have come back clear. Not even artificial tears help most of the time,as they are too dry & also feel burning and cracked. That is why I said it feels like the eyelid sticks on to the eyeball sometimes.

The spasms are worse when I am tired. What bothered me the most and one of the main reason I posted is that it was only happening in one eye and now the spasms are in both. I have asked different people I work with and everyone says that they have had spasms to verying degrees when tired, but not in both eyes.

Silverlady 09-21-2006 08:00 AM

Maybe these folks can help

This is a dry eye forum I belong to and maybe you can get some answers here.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/index.php?

and this is the Sjogrens forum, they have a section just for eyes :

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/

Billye

dahlek 09-21-2006 07:44 PM

Aussie, do you take....

neurontin or something like that? It's rare, but it can cause or aggravate that symptom. I only ask, because 'Twitching' is an effect of neurontin - when I was on it, it was a noticable [to me] problem. Once I changed to another med the problem disappeared. [It was so bad I had to change neuro's to change med]

As for little eye twitches - before I'd PN, one of my eyes would start tiny involuntary shudders if I'd read way too much [which I used to have to do for my job]. Rest seemed to be the only cure there. Do they both twitch at once? Or do they take turns...That's the kind of thing a good eye doc would probably ask..

Other than drops, only thing I can think of is a moist compress for the dry eyes, but, you've had the benefit of Billye's knowledge. I've used the compresses & drops when my allergies [several of them] kick in.

Hang in there - really good thoughts always - j

Aussie99 09-21-2006 10:19 PM

Thank you ladies

No I do not take neurontin. But I will look at the links Silverlady has sent me. Thank you both.

dahlek 09-23-2006 03:22 PM

Aussie, must be you put...

the idea in my fuzzy brain! My back is spazzing - it's a spot from a very old muscle sprain...I sure hope discussion didn't wake it up! I feel like a marionette with one overactive string!

If it keeps up, I should be ready for Halloween & won't need a costume!

I think I'm laughing here? - j

ntuc 03-15-2008 07:44 PM

Abnormal Eyelid Twitching

I get an abnormally rapid eyelid twitching which last for about a year before and it is actually diagnosed as one of the symptoms of Tardive Dyskinesia (neuroleptic medication-induced repetitive, involuntary, purposeless facial muscle movements) caused by prolonged intake of Risperdal. And I actually get it finally and totally cured through treatment administered onto the "He Gu" acupuncture point of my right hand.

And this "He Gu' acupuncture point, based on the acupuncturist is actually related to the treatments of facial nerves especially the eyelids. Whilst the treatment itself is a self-administered alternative instrument-aided acupressure technique provided to me by the particular acupuncturist.