NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   Neuropsych Exam (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/123117-neuropsych-exam.html)

vodpop 05-27-2010 07:38 PM

Neuropsych Exam

I got a letter in the mail today notifying me that I am scheduled to attend a neuropsych exam on June 7th. Guess thats some sort of progress, at least they're going to test me. I'm curious as to what the results will be. The only testing I've had done was a few months prior to surgery and then one year post op, both times in a secluded room without any noise or interuptions (hardly a real life scenario), rehearsing the same information over and over and over again. How can anyone NOT do well/decent in that kind of environment? I wish they would test in a real life atmosphere..

legalmania 05-27-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vodpop (Post 658852)
I got a letter in the mail today notifying me that I am scheduled to attend a neuropsych exam on June 7th. Guess thats some sort of progress, at least they're going to test me. I'm curious as to what the results will be. The only testing I've had done was a few months prior to surgery and then one year post op, both times in a secluded room without any noise or interuptions (hardly a real life scenario), rehearsing the same information over and over and over again. How can anyone NOT do well/decent in that kind of environment? I wish they would test in a real life atmosphere..

I think that's what they want to prove you can do substantial gainful activity. So you can sit at a desk and answer a phone or file papers, data entry, that you can sit, stand, walk and concentrate something simple, something most people can do in their sleep, but you can work.

http://www.brainsource.com/nptests.htm

Jomar 05-28-2010 12:40 PM

some more info-
http://www.neuropsychologycentral.co...val_faq.html#e

[ What is a Neuropsychological Evaluation?

A neuropsychological evaluation is a comprehensive assessment of cognitive and behavioral functions using a set of standardized tests and procedures. Various mental functions are systematically tested, including, but not limited to:

* Intelligence
* Problem solving and conceptualization
* Planning and organization
* Attention, memory, and learning
* Language
* Academic skills
* Perceptual and motor abilities
* Emotions, behavior, and personality
]

SSavage0207 05-31-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vodpop (Post 658852)

I had my eval. in March, 2010. I applied in Dec. 2009. I was approved last month. So my whole SSDI expirence went rather quick. This was the third neuro psych eval I have had in the past few years. They were all the exact same thing. First they go over you history. Find out what your impairments are. Then they will tell you a story about a women who got robbed. That has children has no money. It's most likely gonna be the same one. They will ask u to repeat it word for word the to the best of your ability. Then you do little puzzles and stuff. It should take about 4 hrs or so. Some will have a test for you to take., it is the multi phasic personal inventory. It's really long survey. Oh you do word association test also.

vodpop 06-01-2010 07:13 PM

Thanks Savage,

I just applied in Jan/feb sometime and am kinda surprised to be getting tested so quickly, but grateful for it. Its actually something I've been wanting to do anyways. My last neuropsych testing was almost seven years ago. I know things have gotten worse since then. According to my husband things have steadily gotten worse over time. I think partially because of the medication I am on (yet it is the only one that has ever worked for me so I am hesitant to change it), and it was also worsening prior to me ever taking this med, so who knows why...

I vaguely remember the tests I took before, lots of story repeating, puzzles and even some math tests (those were awful). I still dont see how these tests are a good representation of day to day life when there are no distractions and when everything is rehearsed over and over. No working environment is like that.
Most require you to multi-task in a hectic environment with a multitude of stimuli from lots of directions. And instructions are often not repeated, certainly not multiple times.
Still I'm curious as to the outcome I will have..

SSavage0207 06-05-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vodpop (Post 660621)
Thanks Savage,

I just applied in Jan/feb sometime and am kinda surprised to be getting tested so quickly, but grateful for it. Its actually something I've been wanting to do anyways. My last neuropsych testing was almost seven years ago. I know things have gotten worse since then. According to my husband things have steadily gotten worse over time. I think partially because of the medication I am on (yet it is the only one that has ever worked for me so I am hesitant to change it), and it was also worsening prior to me ever taking this med, so who knows why...

I vaguely remember the tests I took before, lots of story repeating, puzzles and even some math tests (those were awful). I still dont see how these tests are a good representation of day to day life when there are no distractions and when everything is rehearsed over and over. No working environment is like that.
Most require you to multi-task in a hectic environment with a multitude of stimuli from lots of directions. And instructions are often not repeated, certainly not multiple times.
Still I'm curious as to the outcome I will have..

You are exactly correct. The tests have nothing to do with how you can hold up in an actual career enviroment . They are basic cognitive functioning evaluations.

vodpop 06-07-2010 09:46 PM

I had my neuropsych test today.. Long and tedious exam but its done now. I struggled with the verbal tests but seemed to do okay with the picture ones. The doctor asked me a lot of personal questions about my life and my social history which I thought was a bit unusual (he is a licensed psychologist). I don't recall that from the previous exams I have done.

At the end of the test he reviewed a little of the results with me (although for an official diagnosis he said he would have to score the tests and send it off to DDS and I would have to request results from them). All he could tell me is that he noticed I struggled quite a bit with verbal memory, short term memory and that I was better with visual memory.

He said he would refer me to vocational rehab since he gathers that I am a motivated and determined individual and I seem to enjoy working (which I do), if I wanted him to. I've never received any sort of help from anyone since surgery so any sort of help would be great. But I dont see how that's going to help me in my day to day life concerning my memory. I take notes and write things down constantly and I'm still a mess.

What do you think this all means? I don't know if I scored well enough to be approved for disability or not. I guess I'll just wait and see..

Hoosier_Daddy 06-07-2010 11:08 PM

They will try to find you work. I too was referrerd to voc rehab. Voc Rehab also did a battery of tests on me. Took something like 5 hours. I failed it pretty badly. My memory was awful. I was trying to get some schooling paid for. He told me the only way I could do it was to have them let me take a tape recorder to class and only take 1 course at a time. When I went before the ALJ these notes were read to the judge. I think it helped me win because he did see that I tried to work or at least go to school. I am going to try and go thru voc rehab again soon I hope. While the money I get it very good for disability, I am getting tired of not working or being productive. Also I hear from so many people that I am lazy and sucking the system dry. This is getting old. So I am going to call voc rehab soon myself.

vodpop 06-13-2010 11:44 AM

Hoosier,

So did you get approved for ssd first or did you have to go thru voc rehab first? I am currently employed (have been for a litle over a month now) but somehow things always seem to crap out and I get fired or pushed out.
I'm just not sure how voc rehab is gonna help me with my memory. That's the whole problem. SO far this job seems to be accomodating it ok. Lets just hope it holds up..

Hoosier_Daddy 06-13-2010 01:42 PM

With the memory problems social isolation issues and constantly having knee surgeries they could not find me anytihng. When my case came up for the ALJ the voc rehab person wrote me a glowing letter stating there was no job she could find for me in 2 years time. She had 28 years experience so I think this really helped my case. My Allsup rep was tickeled when we got this letter from her right before my hearing.