NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Myasthenia w/normal SFEMG, neg. antibodies (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/123182-myasthenia-normal-sfemg-neg-antibodies.html)

catie 05-28-2010 04:09 PM

Myasthenia w/normal SFEMG, neg. antibodies

Hi!
I saw the post by Alice MD in Abby's thread today regarding normal SFEMG and negative antibodies does not necessarily rule out a diagnosis of Myasthenia. Can someone explain this further?

I was told this by one of my previous neurologists, but I don't understand. Most literature I've read indicates that a SFEMG is abnormal in "almost 100%" of patients with ocular myasthenia.

Cate

alice md 05-28-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catie (Post 659156)
Hi!
I saw the post by Alice MD in Abby's thread today regarding normal SFEMG and negative antibodies does not necessarily rule out a diagnosis of Myasthenia. Can someone explain this further?

I was told this by one of my previous neurologists, but I don't understand. Most literature I've read indicates that a SFEMG is abnormal in "almost 100%" of patients with ocular myasthenia.

Cate

1. the literature is wrong, and is based on very poorly conducted studies. and I admire your neurologist. there are not many that will say that.

2. I will explain it in the most simplistic way: if you want your computer or any other electrical devide to work it has to be plugged into the electrical socket, so that there will be proper trasmission of the electrical signal.

but, does this mean that if a computer is properly plugged and turned on, it will always work?

in the same way, in order for the muscle to function (eg-contract properly) it has to recieve an electrical signal from the nerve. but if this electrical transmission is properly conducted does it mean that the muscle will properly contract?

just like the answer to the first question is-no, so is the answer to the second one.

there is a very complex biological process, which is only partially understood, that traslates this electrical signal into eventual muscle contraction, and many steps along the way that can go wrong.

just like your computer may have a problem with the hard disk, or software, or a virus that interferes with its proper function etc.

alice

trobentica 05-29-2010 04:55 PM

hey, alice;

You've mentioned that you've written an article on this subject.

could i get a copy on luminozite@gmail.com?

many thanks.
tom

alice md 05-30-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trobentica (Post 659432)
hey, alice;

You've mentioned that you've written an article on this subject.

could i get a copy on luminozite@gmail.com?

many thanks.
tom

I am writing an article and will be glad to send it to you once its done/ hopefully published.

meanwhile the person you may want to consult is Moshe Pick. He has been helping many myasthenic patients around the world over the last ten years.

and as he had occular myasthenia (he is now in remission), will probably be very helpful to you.

His knowledge and experience with this illness exceeds that of many.

alice

trobentica 05-30-2010 04:44 AM

alice, you're the best. :)

looking forward to your article.

and yes, do you have, by any chance, a working email from Moshe Pick?

thanks!

best regards;
tom

alice md 05-30-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trobentica (Post 659545)
alice, you're the best. :)

looking forward to your article.

and yes, do you have, by any chance, a working email from Moshe Pick?

thanks!

best regards;
tom

mpick@netvision.net.il

you can tell him I suggested you consult him.

best,

alice.

trobentica 05-30-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice md (Post 659599)
mpick@netvision.net.il

you can tell him I suggested you consult him.

best,

alice.

thanks, alice. :)

best to you;
tom