NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   The copay is how much!?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/124335-copay.html)

Momma's Kids 06-10-2010 02:57 PM

The copay is how much!??

The tests are in, done, and over with a script stating...patient has MS. I am waiting for Shared Solutions and ACS Pharmacy to work out the copay for the Copaxone.
I darn near fainted when he said the copay was 4500.00 a month.

I only paid like 30 bucks at most previously. ACS said they give grants for people with limited incomes and it might take about three weeks...so that's good.

I went to check out the knees, had depo-medrol injections in each knee Tuesday...the right feels better, the left is still painful...but hey...I can hobble without gritting my teeth.lol
I hope this works so I don't have to go into a knee surgery, I'm too young to have knee replacement.

TXBatman 06-10-2010 03:07 PM

I can't imagine it being $4500 unless that is per year, not per month. Most of the numbers I have seen for Copaxone have the total cost at around $2500 per month. So charging you a copay of $4500 would be a $2K markup and you paying 100%.

$4500 per year would be $375 per month, which would be 15% of $2500, which isn't an unusually high percentage for a high cost drug like Copaxone under some plans.

Erin524 06-10-2010 03:34 PM

When I was taking copaxone, the least I ever paid was $30, and I think the most was $60. (it started out at $30, and then yo-yo-ed from $50 to $60 back to $50 over the course of a year)

I quit stabbing myself with it last year when I felt that it wasnt helping me at all. (my neuro told me that he didnt think any of the injectibles worked, which for some strange reason ruined my faith in the drug, and I didnt have all that much faith in it to begin with)

TXBatman 06-10-2010 04:22 PM

I liked Copaxone just fine...and thought it was working fine...but the MRI told a different story. Now I am on Rebif and I HATE it! I feel way worse now on Rebif than I did at any point during my 3 years on Copaxone.

Debbie D 06-10-2010 05:02 PM

Shared Solutions and my ins. company whittled it down to $150/3 mo. supply...keep fighting...that's way too much!

Dejibo 06-10-2010 05:21 PM

Copaxone cost about $2.5k per MONTH to $3k per month depending on the insurance company contract with shared solutions.

If you are being charged more than that...its a misunderstanding. They must have meant per year, not per month. That would make your copay $375 per month.

Please check with Shared Solutions for help. Partnership for prescription assistance, and loads of other places for help.

its not a bad med to take.

SallyC 06-10-2010 06:48 PM

Glad to know that you have a solid MS DX..:)

I think Mr Copaxone saw you coming.:eek::rolleyes::mad:

I hope your wittle knees feel better soon. :hug:

EddieF 06-10-2010 07:54 PM

Outright its $2400/month. It was awesome the 2 1/2-3 yrs it worked on me.

Momma's Kids 06-12-2010 11:49 AM

I have Medicare D,this is a tier 4 drug, ever heard of the donut hole? Well, unfortunately I fall into that big ole hole big time. ACS has private donors that offer grants to pay for the med. and I can pay a copay or not, but then more money comes out of the amount of my grant. I'm waiting to hear the outcome of funding.

I called twice, just to double check the copay, ACS and my insurance told me the same.:eek: I almost can't comprehend a 4500.00 copay. I never paid more than 30.00 in the past, but then I had private insurance with my job.

I even went online to my insurance company...same amount...it is sinking it slowly.lol

I took it for five years until I lost my insurance. It worked well, but I have been taking a chance and fortunately only have one new lesion since I stopped almost three years ago.

Batman, Erin...sorry it didn't work for you, hopefully one day our miracle drug will come along.

EddieF 06-12-2010 01:30 PM

Either pay cash and it should be $2400 or pay it towards d hole and that should fill it right? How much is D hole?