NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Dilaudid ? (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/125181-dilaudid.html)

abrown176 06-16-2010 05:43 PM

Dilaudid ?

When I went to the doctor today and told him that the ms contin was like not working at all, and I was sorry for saying the others were not working because now taking the ms contin I realize they were helping a bunch. I have not been in this much pain in a long time, maybe never I don't even remember hurting this bad before I started the pain killers. He has now given me Dilaudid 4 mg ever 4 hours as needed and said if this works then he will give me jurnista the extended release. Does anybody know if this is a very effective drug and the dose seems high enough for chronic pain patients. I can start it later this evening. I am in so much pain and have been for two weeks so how long should I give this to get it under control before I decide it does not work. He told me it would take a little longer than usual because it is so out of control. Thanks for the info!!:o

pooh_ac 06-16-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrown176 (Post 665613)
When I went to the doctor today and told him that the ms contin was like not working at all, and I was sorry for saying the others were not working because now taking the ms contin I realize they were helping a bunch. I have not been in this much pain in a long time, maybe never I don't even remember hurting this bad before I started the pain killers. He has now given me Dilaudid 4 mg ever 4 hours as needed and said if this works then he will give me jurnista the extended release. Does anybody know if this is a very effective drug and the dose seems high enough for chronic pain patients. I can start it later this evening. I am in so much pain and have been for two weeks so how long should I give this to get it under control before I decide it does not work. He told me it would take a little longer than usual because it is so out of control. Thanks for the info!!:o

Take the diladid as ordered, try to take it every 4 at first until your pain is under control, then if pain is acceptable, try backing off slowly, at night first, try to strech to 6 hours, if this does not work or pain is not well controlled by MONDAY, call your doc and let them know where you are at. It helps to keep a running log of your pain rate and description, times you take your meds, and if you have any relief. then you have proof and a log of the meds effectiveness or ineffectivness
:hug:z

bfburkejr 06-25-2010 02:33 AM

Dilaudid is hydromorphone. Stronger per mg than morphine(ms contin) if your doc didn't do the conversion right it could be a matter of dose.I don't know your morphine dose. A good combo is ms contin for most of the time and dilaudid for breakthrough pain as it is fast acting as well as short acting. Good luck...I feel for you:) Brian

abrown176 06-26-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfburkejr (Post 668515)
Dilaudid is hydromorphone. Stronger per mg than morphine(ms contin) if your doc didn't do the conversion right it could be a matter of dose.I don't know your morphine dose. A good combo is ms contin for most of the time and dilaudid for breakthrough pain as it is fast acting as well as short acting. Good luck...I feel for you:) Brian

The ms contin was 30 mg and the dialudid is 4. The dialudid helps better than the ms contin did but at night when I go to sleep I go about 8 hours and then the pain is waking me up and it takes half the next day to get it bearable. Right now I am in a flare and nothing seems to help. I have RSD in my foot and now my neck is in crazy pain running up the back of my head and down my shoulder. I am stressed it is the weekend and the ER just treats me like I am a drug addict looking for a high. So I guess I will try and make it till monday if possible. Thanks for the info.

hannah1234 07-05-2010 04:37 AM

I was taking 6mg of diladid every 3 hours and I have a 25 McG fetanyl patch. I have rsd in my right side of my body and back, and I had my wisdom teeth out over a month and a half ago, and am still taking this high of medication including my other pain medications. If you have any other questions please ask! :)