NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Aneurysm (https://www.neurotalk.org/aneurysm/)
-   -   Balance (https://www.neurotalk.org/aneurysm/125615-balance.html)

rmbing64 06-21-2010 09:14 PM

Balance

Hello Everyone,
I was so surprised to see that we have moved. I take it there were problems with the we site. I am having such a stupid problem, that I hate to even complain about it, but it is starting to make me crazy. After my rupture 3 years ago, I couldn't see at first, then when I could, they realized I had some problems with my balance (and that would be a mild characterization). I spent a lot of miserable months in physical therapy working on it, at least to the point where I didn't fall over so often, but then I had to have a cerebral bypass at my one year anniversary and I had a stroke during surgery to boot. All of this contributed to my balance problems. I couldn't walk at all at first, then with a walker, then with a cane for months. Now I walk without a cane, but I stagger some when I walk.It is unnerving to people who aren't used to being around me. The people I work with just call it the Rose shuffle. It is really bad if I am in a crowd or a wide open space, like a walkway, or a mall or an airport. I can hardly attend school functions, it is so hard for me to get in and out. Bleachers are awful. 2 of my boys just graduated from high school and one was in track and it was a challenge to go to all of his meets (including the state championship).My bypass failed, so I think that is one reason my balance is so bad. My son thinks I need to use a cane again, which I don't want to. I am seeing my primary care dr. this week and I thought I might ask him about physical therapy again, though I hate the thought. They spent the whole time keeping me off balance, till sometimes I would throw up, the theory being it would "reset" me and I would do better, which I did for a while. We went on our first vacation in 5 years and when we went for a walk on the beach, I flipped over on my back like a turtle and pulled my poor husband down across my legs and couldn't get back up. I was just glad my kids didn't have their phones, or I am sure I would have ended up on YouTube, looking like a fool. I feel petty complaining, because I am in good shape otherwise. I can take the throwing up and I can live with the staggering, but I miss working with patients in the treatment room and I would like to work on the floor or with them in some other capacity besides research and if I can't regain my balance, I don't know if I'll ever be able too. Well, wah, wah, wah, I feel better now. I always know I can come here and vent and you all understand. Sorry for the lonnng message.Thanks for listening, Rose