NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Any one using Lyrica for nerve pain? (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/126-using-lyrica-nerve-pain.html)

DiMarie 08-24-2006 11:00 PM

Any one using Lyrica for nerve pain?

De just started a week ago and the first days she had great decrease in burning and shooting pain. But makes her groggy.
I was reading an insert tonight of the pros and side effects.
She is on the lowest dose of I think 25 mgs.
Had a lot of bad news with SSRI's and neurontin so watching things closely.
Di

Horizontal One 08-25-2006 05:55 AM

Di, Yes I am on it. Have been since Feb2005. I am now on 300mg in a morning and 400mg at night (yes this is above the top dose). I had decrease in the shooting, pricking pains too. Made me groggy, then improved as got used to it. THis happened each time dose increased. I used to have a nap after the morning dose, but that is no ba thing.
Don't know what else to tell you....Brain like sieve ....just ask.

Love
Helen.

BTW - makes you snack is what I found...so put on weight.

Gromlily 08-26-2006 06:24 PM

Hi Di,

Law and I were talking about it yesterday. She is taking it. Maybe you can p.m. her?

O.T. Does De have a Medtronic pump by chance?? Wierd question I know, but there is a woman on the "Pumpsters" forum named De that I thought might be your daughter...Just curious... Give her my best and I pray she is doing better ....

Warm Hugs!!

G~

Wheelin Rev 08-26-2006 06:41 PM

FWIW, I am on Lyrica 225mg twice daily. It has reduced neuro-type pain for me. Dave

law76 08-26-2006 10:11 PM

I Love It!!!

Works Wonderful And Also Helps With Ortho Pain...makes You Sleepy, At First..pm Me For More Info.
Smiles,
Laura

tshadow 08-29-2006 05:56 AM

I take it 3 times per day, and I attribute it to bringing down that "suicide pain" that used to plague me regularly.

However, it is known for weight gain, and sure enough, with my body chemistry, after I lost 25 lbs. with Topomax, I gained 35 with this Lyrica. Quite a bummer.

Doesn't make me sleepy.

Really does help with peripheral nerve pain and nerve pain in general. (Doesn't do it for bone or muscle pain of fibro, though.)

sandy1955 09-14-2006 09:59 PM

I have just been switched from neurontin to the lyrica. I gained 30 lbs on the neurontin since my surgery in April. Sad to hear the lyrica does the same. What are we to do!

Sandy

beth 09-16-2006 07:00 PM

I've been on it since June, 200 mg. day, am supposed to add another 100 mgs but hesitate because of weight gain!! I've gained 15 lbs and I eat very little most days. I seem to put it on in the "belly and behind" first, so I'm already up 2 pant sizes - in 3 months! At this rate, am afraid to think what size I will be by end of the year, without adding an extra 100 mg/day :eek:

I was REALLY hoping the weight gain problem was one of the side effects of Neurontin they had "fixed" when they developed Lyrica. Otherwise, I don't notice any problems with it, and it DOES help with the nerve pain. I take Cymbalta as well for depression and nerve pain and the combo works better than anything else for me so far.

I'm also a little hesitant to go to higher doses of Lyrica because at higher doses of Neurontin I had problems with blood in the urine, I think it was affecting the kidneys. Although very rare, there had been some incidence of this in the clinical trials (for Neurontin, not Lyrica). Anyway, I was taken off Neurontin at that point, which I understood, and agreed with, but I soon learned how much the Neurontin had been helping me, and haven't found anything since that is as effective. I was glad to hear of Lyrica's development and lower dosage and side effect profile, and hope the problem doesn't reappear and take away this source of relief!

beth

Jyes 09-17-2006 04:52 PM

My PM put me on Lyrica and Vicodin after a botched Cervical Spine RF procedure that has given me Occipital Neuralgia(shooting pains at base of skull and tenderness and numbness) and I was rather dizzy the first week and was wiped out in the afternoon, the dizziness did diminish, the pain diminished a little, it did seem to stop the shooting nerves pains but not altogether, but after two months of Lyrica, and some weight gain, I was still groggy and wanting to and taking afternoon naps, which then made sleeping at night harder still and I was still occasionally walking into doorways.

I started Lyrcira(75mg 3x a day) and Vicodin in mid April and quit on July 1st with my PM's approval. I did not notice much difference in the pain level either way, but I had no more side effects and I am very happy I came on the medication.

This past week the PM asked if I wanted to go back on Lyrica, I said no, and then he offered a Rx for Topomax and I declined that also. Just tired of side effects from medications and I realize everybody reacts different and as long as I can stand the pain level I am at now, I will refrain from taking any.

Jyes

Junie 09-17-2006 07:45 PM

I Have been on Lyrica for 3 weeks with greatly reduced leg nerve pain that valium did not touch (had spinal lumbar level 2 fusion with many complications in mid june, was in hosp 10 days instead of 4-5) left me with horrible nerve pain in legs, and overall pain is worse then ever.....and so far only wt loss which began after fusion.......only problem I see is memory loss (short term) and feeling like I just chugged a few shots but when I complain they basically told me to suck it up......that it will get better...and I guess she was right since I drove today!
I am only taking 50mg 3x daily and she wanted me on 399mg by now but I refused and am going at a as tolerated pace!
I wish everyone the best!