NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   Should I tell Social Security about Medical Marijuana? (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/126166-tell-social-security-medical-marijuana.html)

frankros 06-29-2010 12:15 AM

Should I tell Social Security about Medical Marijuana?

hi
when I apply for SSI/SSD should I submit my medical records for medical marijuana? I tried it for chronic pain and nausea and found it effective I still use lightly and still have a California State Patient Medical Marijuana Card.

I think it might not look for my case, as there is a lot of stigma still associated with it.

My personal Dr. did discuss it with me, and is aware of my use of it.

thank you very much,
Frank

Shellback 06-29-2010 10:38 AM

How would it look bad for your case? It was prescribed by a doctor right? The more medical records you submit the better IMO.

steve3d 06-29-2010 04:20 PM

If you discussed it with your personal MD, then it will likely be in your medical records and SS is going to know about it whether you tell them or not. Your medical records may also very well contain urine tox screens especially if your in chronic pain management. It is better to explain that you had an RX for it rather than look like your trying to hide something. I agree that it shouldn't hurt your case.

echoes long ago 06-29-2010 09:31 PM

this is a question where you would be much better off getting legal advice from a lawyer. Although medical marijuana may be legal in your state, federally it is not and ssdi is a federal program administered in part by the states. The above posters may well be correct i really dont know but it is something i would check on before putting down on paper.

Leesa 06-30-2010 05:51 AM

Believe me, they will find out anyway. If your doctor prescribed it, they will get it in his records because he HAS to copy his records and send them to SSD. That includes any and all prescriptions that he wrote for you. So they will know regardless if you tell them or not, so you'd better be honest. It won't look good if you aren't. Best of luck in your filing and God bless. Peace, Lee

Cblue 06-30-2010 08:17 AM

The judge will prob ask you about it before you say anything about it. Must be honest....they are trained to detect dishonesty.

All of the best luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SSDIHelp 06-30-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankros (Post 669781)
hi
when I apply for SSI/SSD should I submit my medical records for medical marijuana? I tried it for chronic pain and nausea and found it effective I still use lightly and still have a California State Patient Medical Marijuana Card.

I think it might not look for my case, as there is a lot of stigma still associated with it.

My personal Dr. did discuss it with me, and is aware of my use of it.

thank you very much,
Frank

It's my personal opinion that I would not share your use of meijuana with SSDI. It's not a classically subscribed medication. It raises too many questions with it's use. But if you do decide to submit it, include your prescription and a letter from your prescribing physician why traditional medications are not effective for your condition.
Respectfully,
Trudi