NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   anyone have an opinion on using ALLSUP to get disability? (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/126266-opinion-using-allsup-disability.html)

soccertese 06-30-2010 11:01 AM

anyone have an opinion on using ALLSUP to get disability?

or got benefits without representation?

GregD 06-30-2010 05:59 PM

This is the first time i have ever seen ALLSUP mentioned so I had to go look it up to see what it is. While I believe thier intention is in the right place, I would want to know what kind of fee they are going to charge for thier services. Believe me, SSDI will not make you rich as it is and any amount taken away from your monthly payment would be a hardship, especially if that is what you depend on for survival.
I applied for SSDI on my own mostly because I didn't know any better. I thought that was the way it was done. I was awarded my SSDI the first time with no problems. I am sure that the information I put on the application forms was not the determining factor. My MDS and the company I worked for knew how to prepare thier parts and was the key I believe. All involved, even the case worker at the Social Security office seemed to bend over backwards to help me thru the system. That was 10 years ago, it has changed greatly since then.

paula_w 06-30-2010 06:11 PM

i hired them after two rejections; they charged $4000 and aren't allowed to take any more than that.this was many years ago tho. i wouldn't waste the money unless you are going to come up short. i had a short term disability that was expiring and finally used them. i think they may have speeded it up in time to meet my income needs but i would have gotten it on the 3rd try anyway i think.

paula

Jim091866 06-30-2010 09:12 PM

Allsup

I applied on my own, got approved first time. I think it helped that I applied in person, no insurance out of meds, stiff as a board, hard to argue with that one!!!

soccertese 07-01-2010 07:01 AM

thanks, just keep hearing how hard it is to get. i've been a self employed programmer for 20 years which i may find difficult to document being unable to work. medicated i can type but no way i could take on a difficult project.

interesting they didn't want to see you medicated. at my best medicated you can't tell i have pd - don't ask me to move fast though - unmedicated i shuffle, freeze, have brain fog, stutter, just want to be sitting or laying down.

soccertese 07-01-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim0918 (Post 670491)
I applied on my own, got approved first time. I think it helped that I applied in person, no insurance out of meds, stiff as a board, hard to argue with that one!!!

when did you apply?

keep smilin 07-01-2010 07:09 AM

Allsup...

Quote:

Originally Posted by soccertese (Post 670611)
when did you apply?

My employer hired ALLSUP to do my SSDI "walking" for me..I am lucky as this is a no charge to me.. The paperwork and application are just now going in so keep our fingers crossed..I want to hear more if anyone had success having used ALLSUP...great to see this thread...

Hugz, Kathy:winky:

soccertese 07-01-2010 07:18 AM

allsup presentation to YOPD convention

not recommending THEM. but video with seemingly good general SSDI info. long though.
http://event.netbriefings.com/event/...ewerP007c.html

paula_w 07-01-2010 08:34 AM

medicated

I was instructed to always go medicated. They know very little about pd and nothing about non-motor symptoms. I remember the lady who gave me my "mental" exam didn't even know Mike Fox had pd. Men seem to have an easier time of it. Had i gone in non-medicated it would have been quite easy to get it the first time.

paula

Jim091866 07-01-2010 08:45 AM

date..

Quote:

Originally Posted by soccertese (Post 670611)
when did you apply?

Applied Nov of 2000 had a check Feb of 2001, they felt that I had been disabled since I left work in July of 2000.