NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   "Like, wow, man! I,,,I mean...I mean Squeak!.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/127727-wow-mean-mean-squeak.html)

reverett123 07-10-2010 10:51 AM

"Like, wow, man! I,,,I mean...I mean Squeak!....

...Yeah! Squeak!" :D

ScienceDaily (July 9, 2010) — Instead of a sleeping pill or a mood enhancer, a nose full of jasmine from Gardenia jasminoides could also help....

...the same molecular mechanism of action and are as strong as the commonly prescribed barbiturates or propofol. They soothe, relieve anxiety and promote sleep....

...act via specific adhesion sites on receptors that lie at contact points of nerve cells (synapses) in the brain and increase the effect of the inhibiting endogenous neurotransmitter GABA....

...the fragrances generated a calming effect: in a Plexiglas cage whose air contained a high concentration of the fragrance, the mice ceased all activity and sat quietly in the corner...."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0708104320.htm

Bob Dawson 07-10-2010 11:24 AM

Far out, man. Far out.

Rick, that is beautiful science. Jasmine. As powerful as Pharma's most powerful chemical drugs. Something that grows in the field out there. Can't be patented so never prescribed.
Hardly ever researched. You read it here first. Seriously, you did. You read it here first.

lurkingforacure 07-11-2010 10:53 AM

great article

If you read the entire article, it says the researchers are being granted a patent. I'm so glad they will be rewarded for their work, maybe others will follow their lead.

Bob Dawson 07-11-2010 11:44 AM

Right you are. Pharma spends one hundred billion a year on research. It is slippery money looking for high profits. Marketing strategy is to crank out slight variations of drugs that are already hugely popular, slightly better than a placebo. Has to be patentable, or will not be researched much.

Let there be one big home run with a (patented) alternative treatment, and billions of dollars in investment money will flow that way.

I have no resentment against someone getting insanely rich by curing any disease. The resentment is when they get insanely rich by keeping the disease going.

It leaves the problem that there are potential remedies all over the place, but if they grow freely, cannot be patented, so the research money won't go there.
Cure any major disease and health care costs will plunge.
PD drugs sell for three billion dollars per year. So offer 5 years of that to anyone who can eradicate the disease. A reward of 15 billion dollars to cure PD. With or without a patent.
The reward money is nothing compared to the long-term costs of the disease, and it could go to somebody who researches in a totally different direction. Impractical, of course, but you see the idea - if it's about cash, make it clear they will get the cash; but equal opportunity for research into ANYTHING that works. And maybe a $15 billion reward would attract a few more adventurers, or focus a few more minds.
Of course I might be jealous if Rick wins it.

pegleg 07-11-2010 12:39 PM

Nooot meaning to rain on anybody's parade -

but we are not in a Plexiglass cage - and if I ever sit quietly in a corner, I will be dead! And think about how high the concentration of fr agrance will have to be for a human. It's possible, I suppose, that humans will step into something like a tanning booth (or the old telephone booth), and breathe the air full of jasmine. Who wants to sign up?
lol
Peggy

Jim091866 07-13-2010 02:15 AM

Nothing like tellin em how it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dawson (Post 674366)
Right you are. Pharma spends one hundred billion a year on research. It is slippery money looking for high profits. Marketing strategy is to crank out slight variations of drugs that are already hugely popular, slightly better than a placebo. Has to be patentable, or will not be researched much.

Let there be one big home run with a (patented) alternative treatment, and billions of dollars in investment money will flow that way.

I have no resentment against someone getting insanely rich by curing any disease. The resentment is when they get insanely rich by keeping the disease going.

It leaves the problem that there are potential remedies all over the place, but if they grow freely, cannot be patented, so the research money won't go there.
Cure any major disease and health care costs will plunge.
PD drugs sell for three billion dollars per year. So offer 5 years of that to anyone who can eradicate the disease. A reward of 15 billion dollars to cure PD. With or without a patent.
The reward money is nothing compared to the long-term costs of the disease, and it could go to somebody who researches in a totally different direction. Impractical, of course, but you see the idea - if it's about cash, make it clear they will get the cash; but equal opportunity for research into ANYTHING that works. And maybe a $15 billion reward would attract a few more adventurers, or focus a few more minds.
Of course I might be jealous if Rick wins it.

I said something along the same lines in another post. RE: the Titan and Amgen debacle. Not profitable enough to be worthwhile and there ya go. What drug, oh that didn't work like we thought it would when we jumped up and down and yelled about it like we struck oil. Just sayin'