NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Migraine Headache (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/12832-migraine-headache.html)

LMJunior 02-06-2007 02:22 PM

Migraine Headache

I haven't posted for a while so I thought would come in and say hello. I had a migraine for the past week. My doctor ordered me decadron on Monday. I take the decadron for two days low dose,but it helps so much. I am hoping after these days of the steroid are over I can start to exercise again. I think its a good idea to let the steroid do there trick with no exercise. It is so cold in New Jersey right now. Yesterday the high was 18 degrees and we had wind too. I think I heard on television its going to warm up some like 30 degrees that sounds great. I hope everyone is a pain free day Take Care

Laraine:)

artist 02-07-2007 04:16 AM

Hi Laraine,

Thanks for posting that, I'm a migraine sufferer too, and now have a permanent semi-migraine caused by the stenosis/spondylosis in my neck. I've been taking (too many) ergotamine - cafergot - of late, it's the only thing that works and I simply can't afford the newer migraine drugs.

But I haven't heard of the one you mention, decadron, I shall research it - I have a feeling my doc is likely to want to stop the ergotamine (he should, they're dangerous, but I just can't handle the headache day and night). Perhaps he will prescribe this, though, I've been trying to find an alternative and I definitely don't want topamax. So thanks a lot,
all the best :)

emilys gramma 02-07-2007 08:40 AM

i too suffer

with migranes.........i use imitrex (sp) and they work great...within twenty minutes they are gone.......however, i have to take way too many of them..................:(

i never heard of the drug your doctor prescribed..........good luck with it, and i hope you are rid of the migranes soon.........

Farm Wife 02-07-2007 09:24 AM

Hi Kiddo:

I haven't heard of your med. I'm glad it's working for you.

just a hint though, when you start to exercise again, start out very slowly and gradually build up to where you want to be. Taking things too quickly can trigger more migraines.

Also, watch your diet. not in the calories, but in the types of food you eat. NO CITRUS, Back off on the breads, something about the yeast and glutens. Chocolate is a no no along with peanuts. Funny, I can eat peanuts in moderation, but if I eat so much as a spoonful of peanut butter WHAM :eek: it's migraine city. There's a bunch of other foods to avoid but I would have to find my list again. Sorry.

Anyway, best of luck and I hope the meds continue to do their magic.

Hugs and Prayers :grouphug:

LMJunior 02-07-2007 10:35 AM

migraine headache

Hello, I posted yesterday about my migraine. I just took last dose of decadron,but I still have the headache not as bad,but not gone yet. I hope it goes away soon. If it doesn't go away I will have to call my doctor to see how she wants to get rid of it. The last time my migraine didn't go completely away she prescribed Ansaid twice a day that did not knock it out though. I am just going to take a brake and sometimes that helps too. I hope everyone is having a pain free day. Take Care

Laraine

Barb2406 02-07-2007 11:28 AM

:( Hi,

Decadron is usually used for swelling or possible allergic reactions, like Laraine said it is a steroid.

I too suffer with migraines, but have only had 1 (knock on wood) in the last
5 years. I take Inderal 20 mgs twice a day. This was ordered by my pcp about
15 years ago, Inderal is one of the many drugs that can be used for more than one problem, it is also used to decrese a high BP, and or heart problems.

My pcp gave me Maxalt for the last migraine and it worked within an hour.
The Maxalt I was given melts in your mouth, I don't know if it comes in any other form.

Hope this helps.;)

LMJunior 02-08-2007 10:39 AM

update on a migraine headache

Hello everyone, I took my last dose of Decadron yesterday morning. Early afternoon I still had the migraine so I used my Z:) omig nasal spray for the migraine. Last night I was getting the migraine back so I used another spray which I am allowed to use twice a day. My migraine has seemed to have gone. I sure hope so. I can only have a steroid once a month,but I always seem to need around the time of the month. I am not going to exercise today just in hopes of keeping the migraine away for good for this month. Take Care hope everyone is having a pain free day.

Laraine

michelerodger2006 01-05-2014 06:56 AM

decadron

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMJunior (Post 67789)
I haven't posted for a while so I thought would come in and say hello. I had a migraine for the past week. My doctor ordered me decadron on Monday. I take the decadron for two days low dose,but it helps so much. I am hoping after these days of the steroid are over I can start to exercise again. I think its a good idea to let the steroid do there trick with no exercise. It is so cold in New Jersey right now. Yesterday the high was 18 degrees and we had wind too. I think I heard on television its going to warm up some like 30 degrees that sounds great. I hope everyone is a pain free day Take Care

Laraine:)

So how long before you feel the affects? I am on the 2 day of decadron tapering off for total of 4 days....do you take anything while you are waiting for decadron to work? I am still pretty miserable!

Thanks....michele

Chemar 01-05-2014 02:27 PM

Hello michelerodger2006
I am not sure if you noticed but this thread is from 2007...so some of the posters may not still be active here.

You may want to consider starting a new thread so more members can respond to you.