NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Electric Shock feeling around my left calf muscle (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/128323-electric-shock-feeling-left-calf-muscle.html)

cranecc 07-18-2010 03:46 PM

Electric Shock feeling around my left calf muscle

Hello,

I am trying to find information regarding a feeling in my calf i have experienced in the past few days. I first noticed this around 9am a few morning ago. It felt like someone was shocking me with a taser gun in the back of my calf. I went straight to the Doctors office and he wanted to get an ultra sound done right away (possible blood clot). So I had an ultra sound done and no blood clot and the only possible conclusion was nerve damage. I did not notice pulling anything in my back or leg. Its weird, sometimes the pain will pulse and then go on for 15 mins without feeling a thing. Yesterday I didnt feel any pain for about 12 hours.

So I have been icing it today and taking advil every 6 hours to help reduce the pain.

Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this pain and if so, any ideas on how I can help this injury heal quickly.

Thank you,

lyndarva 07-19-2010 07:21 PM

reply on calf pain

Quote:

Originally Posted by cranecc (Post 676578)
Hello,

I am trying to find information regarding a feeling in my calf i have experienced in the past few days. I first noticed this around 9am a few morning ago. It felt like someone was shocking me with a taser gun in the back of my calf. I went straight to the Doctors office and he wanted to get an ultra sound done right away (possible blood clot). So I had an ultra sound done and no blood clot and the only possible conclusion was nerve damage. I did not notice pulling anything in my back or leg. Its weird, sometimes the pain will pulse and then go on for 15 mins without feeling a thing. Yesterday I didnt feel any pain for about 12 hours.

I have had these electric shock episodes in my left leg for ten years and mine is also connected with weakness in that leg. No one can give me a good explanation for them, other than it could be linked with MS which my neurologist refuses to say I have. I get injections in my thigh to the nerve branch and that may or may not help for awhile. I would see a neurologist to rule out other issues. He can do the nerve block if he feels he can "get to the spot." It is simple and just an injection. My physiatrist also does it for me since I can't get in to see my neurologist except as a scheduled followup. My pain woke me up in the middle of the night last night. The sharpness of mine makes me say it feels more like an ice pick or knife stabbing me.

MelodyL 07-19-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Hello,

So I have been icing it today and taking advil every 6 hours to help reduce the pain.

Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this pain and if so, any ideas on how I can help this injury heal quickly.

Thank you,

Hi there. I am so sorry that you are going through this pain. I just wanted to stop by, say hi and Welcome to Neurotalks.

I hope others will pop by and give you more help.

Take care,

Melody

Darlene 07-20-2010 01:36 AM

Hello and welcome to NeuroTalk. Happy to see you have come to be with us. Just let us know if we can be of any help.

As you can tell there are great number of fellow members here to assist as possible. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around.

Darlene :hug:

mrsD 07-20-2010 02:50 AM

Crossing the legs alot and sitting that way for long periods, can compress the peroneal nerve.

Another possibility is something in that knee is acting up and compressing the nerve.

If this continues or spreads to other nerves, I'd get checked for B12 levels, and see if you are getting low. Your reading should be at 400 or above. Do not accept "normal" as lab ranges in US are antiquated.

These are the most likely (common) causes.

The ice is a good idea. Only do 20 minutes at a time a couple of times a day...and if this is a minor thing, it will resolve.

stevie1968 09-25-2010 07:37 PM

Hi--I was wondering if you ever found a cause for this pain? I just began having the exact same thing happen to me today and can find no explaination online.

Joe Mama 10-02-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Hello,

Thank you,

I have found that a nice (very)-warm bath seems to help me in such regard...I note the 'insect sting' (neuropathy) sensation to be a precursor to foot and toe cramping.

Worth a try.

royl29 10-03-2010 10:59 AM

Shock feeling

I have been feeling the same in my leg, hips and now it has spread to my arms. Mine normally comes just when I am about to fall asleep in he evening and sometime when I set a lot at the computer or TV. The doctors have not told me what causes it. I have been to ortho, GP and Nero but have not otten an answer, but more pills which have not helped.

mrsD 10-03-2010 11:07 AM

Hello, royl and welcome to NeuroTalk.

I'd like to invite you to visit our Peripheral Neuropathy forum.
We have a subforum with information about alot of things pertaining to the complex condition PN.

I see in your profile you have diabetes? Some supplements may help you in that area.

Our informational subforum:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum119.html

For general questions and conversation:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum20.html

Looking forward to seeing you there.;)

Darlene 10-04-2010 12:08 AM

Glad to have you here!!

Hello and welcome royl to NeuroTalk. Happy to see you have come to be with us. Just let us know if we can be of any help.

As you can tell there are great number of fellow members here to assist as possible. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around.

Darlene :hug: