NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   YIKES! What may happen? (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/128605-yikes-happen.html)

Samsmommy 07-22-2010 11:44 AM

YIKES! What may happen?

I think my neighbor filed a report with SSA regarding me doing some yard work while being on SSDI. I have failed spinal fusions and my pain and function level fluctuate from week to week, and even day to day. Would this have a chance criminally? or do you think that it may just initiate a CDR review? Thanks for any thoughts on this. Samsmommy

Cblue 07-22-2010 02:26 PM

Does your dr have documentation supporting your claim with SSDI? If so, you should be fine I would think.
Neighbors like that are so disgusting. How did you get the suspicion that she may report you? How did she know you are on SSDI?
I tell no one..I told my hubby and my mom...I didn't even tell my best friend. Not that he would ever try to do something mean to me, but because if he told someone else who can't be trusted.

I have back probs too. I hope everything w the neighbor turns out ok!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christy

echoes long ago 07-22-2010 08:21 PM

loose lips sink ships. as long as you are still going to your doctor and being evaluated you will be ok. SS must get hundreds of these type letters a week. the less you tell people the better off you are.

Janke 07-22-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samsmommy (Post 677840)
I think my neighbor filed a report with SSA regarding me doing some yard work while being on SSDI. I have failed spinal fusions and my pain and function level fluctuate from week to week, and even day to day. Would this have a chance criminally? or do you think that it may just initiate a CDR review? Thanks for any thoughts on this. Samsmommy

Is your neighbor an orthopedic surgeon? Does he have any medical training? There is no law that says you cannot do yard work and non-medical opinions by disgruntled neighbors are not evidence of anything.

You are the one who KNOWS if your back really restricts you from doing any kind of substantial work.

Shellback 07-27-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

I am sorry you have to deal with this aggravation. I wish I had more insight on what might come of this but I hope it's just a case of a jealous neighbor.

I agree with a previous post that if you are still in treatment and seeing your doctor regularly you should be fine. All the best.

SSDIHelp 07-27-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Have you asked your neighbor? Bad news never gets better with age. Why do you suspect he wrote letter. Mu guess is that SSA would ignore any such letter as a grudge letter and not respond to it at all. I wouldn't worry about it.
Respectfully, Trudi

Feel the Burn 07-29-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

did you get something from SS,, ?,, if not quit worrying about it

legalmania 07-31-2010 11:54 PM

The only thing that would be criminal is if it was intentionally defrauding the SS administration. If they find that you are not disabled you may have to pay them back, but it sounds like you have some pretty bad back problems. Do they have any video of you doing the yard work? Be careful in the future, with people like that around you don't need enemies.

This is a case where a women defrauded SSD, of course this is the extreme from your case but this is just one of many cases of what can happen.

Cessation of Disability Benefits Paid to Apparently Healthy Young Woman
Our investigation of a 24 year-old Title II disability beneficiary, who was entitled based
on asthma, seizures, and stress, revealed that she was attending a 4-year college and was
participating in school sports during the period she was receiving benefits. In fact, the
woman received a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting in December 2002 and was
an active member of the basketball team for 4 years, also playing soccer and running track.
Her basketball coach stated the woman received a physical exam each year which showed
she was in good physical and mental health. e coach also stated she participated in daily
practices with no apparent problems. Videotapes of the claimant playing in college basketball
games were obtained. CDI investigators interviewed the woman, who admitted making false
statements to the doctors to continue receiving her disability benefits. e woman’s benefits
were ceased and, because fraud was detected, there was a reopening/reversal of the initial
allowance in 1999, which resulted in an overpayment of $30,018. In June 2004, the woman
was indicted on one count of Social Security fraud, to which she pled guilty. In January 2005,
she was sentenced to 5 years’ probation.

Cblue 08-01-2010 07:49 AM

I deleted this...it was so stupid...sorry!

Janke 08-01-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cblue (Post 680884)
Wow. Too scary. People report you for totally innocent things, but all you need is your updated dr reports.
Keep us posted!

In the example given, the woman was not reported for totally innocent things. She admitted that she deliberately lied. That is fraud. Mowing the lawn occasionally does not take the same level of exertion as being an active student and athlete. Going to school full time takes the same mental exertion as a sedentary job. Playing on a basketball team takes as much physical exertion as many labor jobs. Mowing the lawn on one day and being laid up in bed for the next two days is not even close to the same thing.

Moral of this story is to be honest.