NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   fish oil (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/128636-fish-oil.html)

bruegger84 07-22-2010 07:15 PM

fish oil

what's the best brand of fish oil? my max amount i wanna spend is 15$. unless of course the best brand is the prescription kind "lovaza", but i doubt with that kind you can take 4 g a day with. which i usually take 4 gelcaps daily which is about 4,000 mg and a most likely 720 480 epa dha combo.

Peter B 07-24-2010 01:56 AM

My daughter researched the various ones available and settled on this one as the best.
LifeExtension Super Omega-3.
EPA/ DHA with sesame lignans and olive fruit extract.
Yield EPA 700mg; DHA 500mg.
Hope this helps.
I take 4 a day.

bruegger84 08-02-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter B (Post 678462)
My daughter researched the various ones available and settled on this one as the best.
LifeExtension Super Omega-3.
EPA/ DHA with sesame lignans and olive fruit extract.
Yield EPA 700mg; DHA 500mg.
Hope this helps.
I take 4 a day.

yeah thats good... i assume Mrs D is on vacation otherwise she would have responded to this already. i really feel that carlson is terrible and any enteric coated ones -for me are hard to swallow.

as i still have my myasthenia gravis diagnosis, somewhat undiagnosed, meaning there's a 90-95% doubt i dont have it. and i dont wanna get the muscle biopsy to tell. so swallowing pills have been hard, along with swallowing my own spit(dry mouth-med induced)

but these are the main things ive been dealing with, alongwith heartburn, GERD, and asthma. which are all interrelated. and have been prescribed an inhaler of albuterol which is about the only thing that helps. and the GERD, ive been pretty much having a hard time tolerating the PPIs as i get insomnia as a side effect. the only thing that works slightly are the digestive enzymes. which i cant take for too long, cause then they stop working.

bruegger84 08-02-2010 08:44 PM

life extension isnt even listed on iherb.

pabb 08-03-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruegger84 (Post 681374)
life extension isnt even listed on iherb.

yup, here you go http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension

mrsD 08-07-2010 11:20 AM

HI, there...I am at the laundromat today on vacation

You might try switching to Krill oil... The capsules are smaller and the form the EPA/DHA in it is more potent in smaller amounts.

2 a day of those may work as well as 4 regular fish oil.

I get mine-- MegRed at Costco, 90 for about $18.00
This is a bit more $$ than fish oil, but much smaller caps in size and is working for me just as well.

bruegger84 08-10-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 682862)
HI, there...I am at the laundromat today on vacation

You might try switching to Krill oil... The capsules are smaller and the form the EPA/DHA in it is more potent in smaller amounts.

2 a day of those may work as well as 4 regular fish oil.

I get mine-- MegRed at Costco, 90 for about $18.00
This is a bit more $$ than fish oil, but much smaller caps in size and is working for me just as well.

for me i tried those, and couldnt handle them due to the phospholipids, i thought they would be better, cause they seemed well advertised. any others down the list?

bruegger84 08-14-2010 04:18 PM

i really cant handle the megareds Mrs D, are there any others you would suggest? everything else is a crapshoot basically, considering they even gave my gnc fish oil standby a bad rating on that website. is lifeextensions a good one like the other guy said? i need the higher EPA ones for inflammation

mrsD 08-30-2010 06:22 PM

What can't you "handle"????? I find this statement odd.

Phospholipids are in other foods, and are a component of all of our cell membranes. How can't you "handle" them?

bruegger84 08-30-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 690116)
What can't you "handle"????? I find this statement odd.

Phospholipids are in other foods, and are a component of all of our cell membranes. How can't you "handle" them?

phosphatidylcholine that i tried was undigestable. i just dont like the megareds theyre weird and small and i feel like im taking vitamin D. just like i dont like the enteric coated, i like the classic fish oil gels. that are cylindrical in shape. they just go down better.