NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Eye weakness and focusing (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/128982-eye-weakness-focusing.html)

wondergirl 07-27-2010 11:07 AM

Eye weakness and focusing

When my eyes have the little bit of double vision (which is often), when I have enough energy I'll usually sort of push and force them to focus more. Using certain muscles in my eyes that are more capable I guess.

Because I spend a lot of time reading stuff on the computer. I used to think it was simple "computer vision syndrome" that I had, but I believe mine is more severe and has to do with MG. After I've done the forced focusing, then my eye muscles feel strained. (And, then they have trouble relaxing out so I go around with them all tensed up most of the day.)

I think what I'm doing is a little like staring through the page, a little like you do for those 3D magic eye pics, and it helps steady my eyes, otherwise they feel like they are slightly drifting to the sides and all over constantly.

When I am really tired out, then I don't want to push and instead I try to go in the other direction and relax extra and go ahead and let my eyes move around, and then I can still read okay, because I'm used to doing it. Probably sort of like reading in a moving car, once you do it enough you just know how to deal with it. But I'm just sitting here and it makes me a little dizzy and icky feeling to do it, but it's how I manage things.

Does that make any sense? I'm not that sure what I'm trying to say now, but maybe someone knows what I mean. I'm not diagnosed with MG yet so maybe my experience is different, but I think I should be diagnosed.

mvoyvodich 10-28-2010 01:21 PM

Hi - I know what you mean. When I get double vision it's a sign that I'm getting weak. I am not able to pull myself back together though, I have to close my eyes and rest. However, I noticed if I wear my glasses they tend to get tired slower...probably because I am putting less strain on my eyes.

You need to get your eyes checked and see if you need glasses or an update perscription. If everything is fine, then you need to start listening to your body and not pushing yourself past the point of original tiredness. I recommend this because MG is different then other experiences in that you can't just keep pushing and get through it...like you could a cold, or a stressful event...if you don't listen to your body, then it will speak louder and stop you. The best analogy I can think of is that is like being in quicksand. The more you move in quick sand, the sooner you sink. So, if you want to get out you have to float. MG requires you to rest. The hard you fight it, the faster and stronger you'll get tired.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondergirl (Post 679471)
When my eyes have the little bit of double vision (which is often), when I have enough energy I'll usually sort of push and force them to focus more. Using certain muscles in my eyes that are more capable I guess.

Because I spend a lot of time reading stuff on the computer. I used to think it was simple "computer vision syndrome" that I had, but I believe mine is more severe and has to do with MG. After I've done the forced focusing, then my eye muscles feel strained. (And, then they have trouble relaxing out so I go around with them all tensed up most of the day.)

I think what I'm doing is a little like staring through the page, a little like you do for those 3D magic eye pics, and it helps steady my eyes, otherwise they feel like they are slightly drifting to the sides and all over constantly.

When I am really tired out, then I don't want to push and instead I try to go in the other direction and relax extra and go ahead and let my eyes move around, and then I can still read okay, because I'm used to doing it. Probably sort of like reading in a moving car, once you do it enough you just know how to deal with it. But I'm just sitting here and it makes me a little dizzy and icky feeling to do it, but it's how I manage things.

Does that make any sense? I'm not that sure what I'm trying to say now, but maybe someone knows what I mean. I'm not diagnosed with MG yet so maybe my experience is different, but I think I should be diagnosed.