NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Diarrhea or Constipation? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/129296-diarrhea-constipation.html)

poochie 08-01-2010 10:41 AM

Diarrhea or Constipation?

Do you have diarrhea and constipation at the same time, and then feel like you haven't finished and later in the day have more accidents in your clothes. I can't go to church this morning because I'm afraid I will have an accident. Does anyone go through this? I've done this several times, is it MS.

Dejibo 08-01-2010 10:46 AM

ME ME ME!!! :(

I am a constipated kinda girl but now and again, I slip into the "gotta go now!" stream, and simply am cramped, and painful until I find a potty and QUICKLY!

Last night I took a laxative, simply because I KNEW I was staying home, and could allow it to work.

SallyC 08-01-2010 12:06 PM

Yes, I was in a cycle of 3 to n4 days contipation and then, one day Diarhea..:eek:

I changed that by eating Activia, every other day. It has me going pretty regularly and I'm a happy camper, for the 1st time in years.:)

Strawberry is the best.:p

Debbie D 08-01-2010 12:17 PM

Sal, does it help hold down the IBS stuff?

SallyC 08-01-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie D (Post 680943)
Sal, does it help hold down the IBS stuff?

I guess so, 'cause I don't have it..:D

poochie 08-01-2010 03:43 PM

I've been eating activia, mostly every day, and it has helped a lot, but today just has not been a good day, tomorrow will be better, I know it.:)

NurseNancy 08-02-2010 02:45 PM

i'm so sorry about your predicament pooch.
i had that a couple of yrs ago and i can relate to the sheer terror about being out in public.

i would run this past your neuro, or pcp. maybe they can help with a med, or diet or something.

please keep us posted.
i'm constipated most of the time and thankfully have outgrown some of those sx's.

tkrik 08-03-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseNancy (Post 681265)
i'm constipated most of the time and thankfully have outgrown some of those sx's.

I would love to outgrow many symptoms including this one.;):p

Pooch - I have that crazy symptom as well. I don't feel any lower intestinal pain or discomfort that one normally would get with something like IBS, food intolerance or an intestinal virus. I just don't feel it so when I get the feeling that I have to go now, I best do it immediately. But, again, I rarely feel anything in my lower intestines.

I have also been so constipated that I am incontinent and don't feel the incontinence. Figure that one.:rolleyes: I wear a pad during those times.:o

My upper stomach is a different story as it will cramp up so much you can see the outline of my stomach. That hurts. Then I am on a liquid diet until the damaged nerves calm down. I have the hug constantly to varying degrees but when it increases, I find I have an increase in stomach spasms.

Like Judy mentioned, talk to your neuro or pcp to get some recommendations. In the meantime others have given some great advice.