NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   New symptoms. (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/129507-symptoms.html)

hemse 08-04-2010 07:15 AM

New symptoms.

Hi all. I was hit with a new symptom a couple of weeks ago, I say hit because it was so out of the blue and actually bent me over double in pain. I was sat on the sofa reading when from nowhere it felt like someone had sent an electric shock through the toes on my right foot. The pain was excruciating lasting a few seconds. Afterwards there was a residual ache for a few minutes.
It happened again a few minutes later and then stopped. It happened a couple more times over the week but last night at work it happened six times in the space of twelve hours. One time was while I was driving and it was such a shock I ended up bent over the steering wheel.
I am wondering if anybody else has suffered these sort of symptoms? How bad do they get and is it a transient symptom or here to stay?
Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your replies.

Quote:

Its not how hard we hit, its how hard we can get hit and keep moving forward.

nide44 08-04-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemse (Post 681785)
.......... I was sat on the sofa reading when from nowhere it felt like someone had sent an electric shock through the toes on my right foot...........
I am wondering if anybody else has suffered these sort of symptoms? How bad do they get and is it a transient symptom or here to stay? .....

Yes, this is a common symptom of PN and can be mild to severe pain.
They occur at random, but ususally when I'm at rest, nit being active- but can happen while active.
I say I have a gremlin who darts out, at random, from behind the baseboards and then stabs me with a 12" long ice-pick, all the way in- then runs away and hides behind the baseboards again.

hemse 08-04-2010 09:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. Its slightly reassuring to know this is normal. I have a question if you dont mind my asking, how long after diagnosis did this start? My docs are concerned at the rate that my neuropathy is progressing. They think it is my diabetes but they are not 100% certain as my diabetes isunder excellent control.
Thanks, Ian.

Quote:

We will all fall down, its whether we get back up again that counts.

smae 08-04-2010 10:31 AM

I started getting shocks about 4 months after my PN started and a month before I was officially diagnosed. Now, I get them about 30 times an hour, give or take a few. Sometimes they can be mild shocks, while others totally take my breath away and cause me to scream out in agony. It's the worst type of pain I have.

nide44 08-04-2010 10:38 AM

Mine started along with everything else in a slow progression over about a year, then leveled off and has been at a constant but not progressing to any significant degree for the past 4 years. (First Dx was 12 years ago, but its been longer, I think)
It is now under control with Lyrica & Tramadol.
Each of us is different, and no two stories are exactly alike. You cannot glean information about yourself, from the way others react. You just have to wait & see what is happening with you, & take it from there..

JoanB 08-04-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

I say I have a gremlin who darts out, at random, from behind the baseboards and then stabs me with a 12" long ice-pick, all the way in- then runs away and hides behind the baseboards again.
:eek::eek::eek:
That made me think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TpWSNT5QhE

And they're doing a remake!:eek::eek::eek:

Sorry about the shooting pains, hemse. I get those once in a while too.

wife&mother 08-04-2010 12:59 PM

Understand

Hi I completely understand what your going through except the pain is in my thighs. I have been woken up in the middle of the night screaming in pain and my thighs are very sensitive aswell as the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet. I have ended up in a wheelchair within 7 months of the onset of the symptoms! The cause of my problem has not been found yet but I hope for yours and my sake that there is help and pain relief. Xxx

echoes long ago 08-04-2010 07:01 PM

i get pain like that but mine feels like the gremlin is taking pliers to my toes and squeezing the joints. the ice pick probably wasnt available because Bob's gremlin already had it.

ive had PN for 9 years now and didnt get these type of sudden shocking pains until a few years in.

EE03 08-04-2010 10:12 PM

I get them all the time. I've had them before being diagnosed too as well as after. I also get severe shooting pain in my bones which is just as bad as the electric shock. Mine also come at random and usually while I'm at rest. Sadly, you aren't alone with these pains.

hemse 08-05-2010 07:17 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. Guess I will just have to learn to live with it.

Quote:

We will all fall down, its whether we decide to get back up that counts.