NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Stiff ankles... (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/129720-stiff-ankles.html)

Debbie D 08-06-2010 02:11 PM

Stiff ankles...

My ankles aren't bending very well...I am walking more and more like Frankenstein...my right foot drags, and my left one just doesn't want to bend all the way.
I've also noticed I've been experiencing neuropathic pain above the left ankle on the outside of it. I don't think this is arthritis, because the joints don't hurt...just stiff.
Can MS cause weird ankle things like that? Or is this a version of foot drop I haven't understood?

lefthanded 08-06-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie D (Post 682619)
My ankles aren't bending very well...I am walking more and more like Frankenstein...my right foot drags, and my left one just doesn't want to bend all the way.
I've also noticed I've been experiencing neuropathic pain above the left ankle on the outside of it. I don't think this is arthritis, because the joints don't hurt...just stiff.
Can MS cause weird ankle things like that? Or is this a version of foot drop I haven't understood?

I asked for a referral to a physical therapist, and luckily, my MS clinic has one who specializes in MS and other neuro diseases. I am doing a lot of stretching, some range of motion, and posture work. My stated goal was to postpone gait problems if possible. Both tai chi and yoga can help as well. I am adapting both to my specific abilities . . . in other words, you will not find me doing pretzel positions, hanging up-side-down, or kicking high over my head!

legzzalot 08-06-2010 05:42 PM

yes it does. Mine is joint issues though for some reason inflammation in my joints is a big thing with me, but ironically not in my spine whch is why ivsm does nothing good for me.

Voltaren works wonders in my ankles and knees but does nothing for the back pain? So I dunno. Ice, stretching, and strengthening may help.

barb02 08-06-2010 06:29 PM

My ankle on my left side is also stiff. It doesn't hurt -- just is not as flexible as my right ankle. I also am doing the Frankenstein walk.

SallyC 08-06-2010 08:41 PM

Raising hand...me too. Both ankles get stiff at times, but my left foot/ankle is stiff all the time. I hold my left foot with my hands an stretch and manipulate it for a while. I can then manipulate it normally for a bit. But this is an every day thing..:mad:

slantz883 05-17-2012 07:43 PM

Stiff Ankles

Same here, same side (left)

Lynn 05-18-2012 06:43 AM

Since I have been having problems with spasticity and muscle pain, I went to a physiotherapist and she said to me 'you know that MS will shorten your tendons don't you?' to which I replied, with a puzzled look 'really???' and she said 'yes'.

I am not sure if it is an MS thing, or just that the tendons shorten through a reduction in use. I should have asked more questions.

I was so surpised - she noticed that when I am relaxed, my left foot sits a lot lower than my right.

Interesting......

Debbie D 05-18-2012 02:28 PM

Huh...new info. Maybe my knees aren't straightening because of this too...although having no cartilage probably doesn't help...is there any part of our bodies this stupid disease won't affect?