NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Community & Forum Feedback (https://www.neurotalk.org/community-and-forum-feedback/)
-   -   Forum requests and moderators -- clarification (https://www.neurotalk.org/community-and-forum-feedback/1299-forum-requests-moderators-clarification.html)

DocJohn 09-21-2006 04:19 PM

Forum requests and moderators -- clarification

Hi folks,

Thanks for bearing with me as I still am getting over a nasty cold...

I will try and get to all the forum requests made tomorrow morning.

I also wanted to clarify that, UNLIKE on BT1 or perhaps other communities you visit online, moderators have a limited set of powers here. They cannot ban or suspend members, for instance. Only kimmydawn or I can do that and nobody will ever be banned or suspended (unless they're a spammer) without first having a discussion with the rest of the moderation team.

Moderators are more like guides here. They are tasked to help guide their forums to (a) ensure they stay relatively on-topic, (b) remove any spam that may be posted, (c) help welcome new members, and (d) close or remove threads that violate one of the community guidelines. Moderators are accountable for their actions and if they do something for personal reasons rather than for the good of the community, they will have to explain it.

Nothing is set in stone, either. I'm a very flexible guy and if we seem to be doing something wrong, let me know.

John

Doody 09-21-2006 04:24 PM

*embarrassed. Didn't see the other thread, sorry. :)

I better put this back in because it made Doc look like he was talking to himself. It was just about off topic stuff and in particular I was talking about recipe threads, because in the past we have done that in the SOS forums.

Doody 09-21-2006 04:28 PM

Heh, sorry again. :o

DocJohn 09-21-2006 04:30 PM

Really depends on the forum... For instance, in a diabetes support or nutrition forum, recipes would seem great and appropriate! But in a trauma abuse support forum, might seem a little out of place...

We can add a recipes (or forums like that) forum for just such a thing if there's a demand for it, absolutely.

John

bizi 09-21-2006 04:37 PM

I post in the bipolar forum...we have OT (off topic)threads...where we share things of interest...we don't just talk about our diagnosis... we provide support as we can...sometimes that is an off topic thread where we can lighten up and provide a distraction. Like our dieting thread...it is off topic, and a huge issue for folks who take meds or not, especially the ones that can cause a huge amount of weight gain.
just my 2 cents....
bizi

DocJohn 09-21-2006 04:41 PM

Yes, if people are okay with that, I'm fine with it too, as long as "OT:" is in the subject line........

Curious 09-21-2006 04:54 PM

here is the link to the list of mods if you haven't seen them already.

http://forums.braintalk2.org/showgroups.php

michael178 03-10-2007 08:18 PM

DocJohn, I appreciate your explanation of the moderators' role. I really do not want to feel that what I post in under hyper critical review with the threat of removal without explanation. I spent a lot of time in the coat-room in grade school. In the morning there were some good bag lunches, so it wasn't all bad. I was also expelled from nursery school, and the nun who taught second grade never taught again, because of me. I think it might have been the braids on the girls sitting in front of me, when I cut them off, that did it.
I do not mind being scolded, but being dismissed out of hand (which occurs in other forums) I do not need. I might deserve it, but I do not need it. So thanks.
I often have trouble talking..forming words, recalling them and physically saying them... So I really enjoy being to able to write to express myself. I am afraid that I might post too much or too often, and do not know if you suggest less enthusiasm, My wife might suggest it for you but she calls it hogging the computer. So I do have some brakes.
I'll get off of here by admitting I am with-holding what my fourth grade teacher told me when she ran into me coming out of church one day.
And I liked her too.

loisba 03-17-2007 05:52 PM

Michael, thanks wasn't enough, I just had to add a giggle!! :D
Enjoyed your post immensely!