NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Caregivers Support (https://www.neurotalk.org/caregivers-support/)
-   -   Just need to know we're not alone (https://www.neurotalk.org/caregivers-support/130496-just-need-to-know-were-not-alone.html)

the beloved wife 08-17-2010 01:51 PM

Just need to know we're not alone

Good day!
I have just joined this group looking for some support so that I am able to continue to support my husband. He suffered several strokes in Jan. 2010 and is suffering terribly with atypical trigeminal neuralgia.
His pain is so intense and I am watching the life get sucked right out of him. He is 48 and is way too young to lie down in defeat.
Has anyone found anything that works for this pain? He has already taken Tegratol and a slew of other medications for this to no avail. He is currently taking Vicoden and Tramadol for the pain with little or no relief.
Blessings to all:
Val

Jomar 08-17-2010 01:58 PM

Hello ,
I copied your post to our TN forum also - possibly you can find med help & ideas there also.

You can find it here -
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum26.html

SandyC 08-17-2010 05:08 PM

Hi Val! I am not familiar with pain meds for TN but my hubby takes Methadone for his pain from MS. Welcome to NT but sorry for the reason you had to find us. Kick back and relax, your among friends and those who get what your going through. There are more patients than spouses but as you get used to the site, you'll find no matter who you talk to, someone will have a good ear and friendly advice. :hug:

GinaGalls 11-22-2010 12:20 PM

Hey,

I'm really sorry to hear about your problem. I do not know what much about pain medication, but I do know persistence with your PCP will usually get you results. Continue to ask him or her questions and ask for advice. You could also consider more holistic approaches.

tied 11-23-2010 10:15 PM

Yoga

Yoga helps me with my pain if I am selective about how far I push myself. Also ice. Give him massages so the lymphatic system keeps moving. Drink water to carry away the poisons. Add a cup of vinegar to the bath water to suck out poisons. Make him laugh.

YogaLife 12-26-2010 04:32 PM

I am deeply sorry to hear about this pain your husband is going through. As a wife of a 41 year old husband with PD I know his pain is your pain. As a nurse in training I know that Trigeminal nerve pain is the most painful pain that there is, but I do not know how to help. You are not alone in this. I agree with the last post that it is important to make him laugh and not give in to despair.

moondaughter 12-26-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the beloved wife (Post 686037)
Good day!
I have just joined this group looking for some support so that I am able to continue to support my husband. He suffered several strokes in Jan. 2010 and is suffering terribly with atypical trigeminal neuralgia.
His pain is so intense and I am watching the life get sucked right out of him. He is 48 and is way too young to lie down in defeat.
Has anyone found anything that works for this pain? He has already taken Tegratol and a slew of other medications for this to no avail. He is currently taking Vicoden and Tramadol for the pain with little or no relief.
Blessings to all:
Val

Have you contacted a neuromuscular dentist? the American Acadamy of Craniofascial Pain might be able to direct you to one - aligning the TMJ with an orthotic might be helpful - it can be a bit spendy (between 3-10,000$) but theres certainly nothing else to lose. For more info you could call this dentist and talk with him: www.drschwam.com
also take a look at www.tmjstack.com

forjamey 01-10-2012 09:49 PM

helping

Sorry to hear about his pain in this way. I too am a spouse of a man living with severe pain. Finding the simple joys are our best times. Hang in there.

lurkingforacure 01-22-2012 11:52 PM

decompression

Quote:

Originally Posted by the beloved wife (Post 686037)
Good day!
Blessings to all:
Val

Google microvascular decompression and you will see it can eliminate TGN. They are looking at using it for other neurological problems but it has been in use for TGN since the 1980s. Dr. Peter Jannetta pioneered this procedure and almost every doctor in the US who can perform this procedure trained under him, he is amazing, although now retired. Research this and see if it might help your husband, I wish you the best.

PS-it is usually reserved for people in whom medicines are not working well or no longer work, as it is dangerous (brain surgery!)

Dmom3005 01-24-2012 09:28 AM

Just wanted to add my welcome to the forums.

Donna:grouphug::hug: