NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Wellbutrin---Hairloss? (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/13196-wellbutrin-hairloss.html)

Dwiggie 02-11-2007 05:25 PM

Wellbutrin---Hairloss?

Hi;
Has anyone experienced significant hair loss while taking
Wellbutrin?
I began taking Wellbutrin SR 200 mg. twice a day last September. Six or seven weeks later my hair began to fall out. And I don't mean just a little, I mean by the handfuls.
Some web sites indicate hair loss while on Wellbutrin can be a side effect, while others do not mention it at all.
I am not eager to stop the medication as it is the only antidepressant I have been able to tolerate, and it has truly helped me cope with my chronic pain, depression and stress. Maybe it bothers me more because I am a female.
I would like to know if the hair loss will continue, or if perhaps it will level out, as well as how others have dealt with this side effect.
Thanks. :confused:

~scrabble 02-22-2007 01:48 AM

Hi Dwiggie,

A few years ago I experienced a significant amount of hair loss and I was taking Wellbutrin. I was going through a very stressful time though and in the end my doctors and I felt that it was more likely stress that caused the hair loss and not the Wellbutrin.

My GP referred me to a dermatologist who said my hair was definitely thinning out and he sent me for some bloodwork. He said he didn't know what was causing my hair loss but if I wanted to know if it was the Wellbutrin then I would have to stop taking it and it would take several months to see any improvement. Luckily I have naturally thick hair and it was thinning out quite evenly so I didn't have any bald areas. People who knew me said they couldn't tell I was losing my hair but I was always seeing it on my shoulders, pillowcase and in the shower. It bothered me enough that I did try switching to another antidepressant, but my depression and anxiety really increased so I ended up going back to Wellbutrin.

I think it was at least 6 months before I thought my hair was becoming thicker again and now I believe it is as thick as it ever was. I just had a haircut and I had my hair layered and thinned out a lot!

I am taking Wellbutrin again, but I have a lot less stress now.

Have you talked to your doctor about it?

Another side effect that I researched with Wellbutrin is ringing in the ears and that is something I've experienced with taking it.

I hope things improve for you!

Mayan2012 02-22-2007 05:18 AM

hair loss wellbutrin

YES, I had hair loss on this drug, was on it for 5 months. Hair was everywhere.On my pillow, in the sink, in my food. The drug did nothing, and I came off of it. My hair is still not as thick, however I am not losing it.

AK Kid 02-25-2007 01:08 PM

Wellbutrin

I too had severe hair loss on this medication. But.....was told by my Doctor that I was low on my B vitamins. (did a blood test) Started me on the B-12 shot and had me take a complex B vitamin and the hair loss stopped.

Just something to consider, but talk to your Doctor....