NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Flu Shot or not? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/132480-flu-shot.html)

mjl1261 09-13-2010 08:07 AM

Flu Shot or not?

Is a flu shot a bad thing for someone with RSD?

My husband has had RSD for a year and is currently in remission. He insists on getting the shot as he has every year for as long as I can remember.

Any of you good folks out there planning to get the shot? Is it no big thing?

Dubious 09-13-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjl1261 (Post 694571)

My husband has had RSD for a year and is currently in remission. He insists on getting the shot as he has every year for as long as I can remember.

My Pain doc said absolutely no sticks in my affected arm. Shot itself is okay though. So I got one in each thigh last year, actually it was much less uncomfortable than the arm!

SandyS 09-13-2010 05:09 PM

Well, my daughter had a flu shot two years ago, and went into full flare immediately after. I wouldn't suggest it, but everyone is different. Just make sure you stay away from sick people.:D
Sandy

Quote:

finz 09-13-2010 09:18 PM

I always get one and have not had any problems, but I do think it's important for all of us to consider any needlestick or injury to our body.

I still get flu shots and donate blood.

Debby 09-18-2010 01:47 AM

I absolutely get a flu shot every year. The few years I haven't I end up with a very bad case of flu...............last time I didn't I had next to pneumonia & coughed so darn hard I broke a rib..........now that is some hard coughing.

DebbyV

mjl1261 09-18-2010 04:40 PM

Debby, that is some serious coughing. I've coughed till it hurt my abs just to breathe, but have never broken a rib. And mine was without the added challenge of RSD on top of the cough.

Thanks for all the responses. I can't say I won't worry when he gets his shot, but I do feel reassured that it's not a guaranteed disaster.

RNcrps2 09-19-2010 07:09 PM

The Dr. at the Research Foundation for RSD/CRPS told me absolutely to get the flu shot because if someone with RSD gets the flu they will be much sicker because RSD magnifies everything. Last year I had to get the H1N1 flu shot.
momof4

firegirl 09-19-2010 09:35 PM

I get the nasal mist version of the flu shot.....call your local DHEC office & ask them where u can find it. I am 28, but I get mine from a pediatricians office every year.

Pinehurst 09-23-2010 03:38 PM

I'd get it

The stick might cause a flare up, you know your responses better than we do. And the shot will make you a bit sick, but a bit sick is much better than very sick. My wife just had pneumonia and was very lucky that she was in the same hospital as her pain doctor. Otherwise they are going to be very reluctant to give you your pain meds. And remember, influenza hurts, it hurts a lot all over.

cindyrsd 09-29-2010 12:50 PM

Flu shots who has RSD

Quote:

I've had RSD for over 20 years now, and my Neuro doctor told me I should not get it. There was a number of reasons, no one really knows how the RSD would react. But again that is to be left up to you the patient.