NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Oprah (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/132535-oprah.html)

Koala77 09-14-2010 02:05 AM

Oprah

Ok.... who was in Oprah's audience yesterday? :rolleyes:

Not that I saw the show, but it's all over our TVs today. Each and every member of her audience gets an 8 day, all expenses paid vacation..... to Australia ..... in December.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...102775699.html

So.... how many Stumble Inners are coming on this trip?

How many of you are coming to my house during those 8 days?

I do need to change the sheets in the guest room, and hubby wants to order the food in, so a little notice would be helpful.

OK! Hands up.... I need numbers please. :D

kicker 09-14-2010 06:54 AM

IF I was ever in Oprah's audience it would be the day she asked everyone to give money to a foundation so we could all feel good about ourselves!! But a trip or car would really make me feel good||!

PolarExpress 09-14-2010 09:00 AM

Sadly, no. Hope you enjoy all you visitors, though! :D

Kitty 09-14-2010 09:15 AM

I heard about that, too. When is the trip? That is so exciting.......I hope you and DH have fun hosting all the guests! "Koala's Bed & Breakfast"!! :D :cool:

Erin524 09-14-2010 09:54 AM

What's the financial costs of a trip like that? Do all the people she gave the trip to have to pay taxes on the costs of a trip like that?? (kind of like how the people she gave cars to years ago had to pay the expensive taxes on those cars)

Dejibo 09-14-2010 10:08 AM

I was upset to learn that those folks she gave cars to were forced to pay the taxes, registration and other expenses related to getting such a car. Many of them sold their car back to the dealers and used the money to get a car that was affordable to drive, and affordable to register. Why did she have to give a fancy smanchy G6? Why not...oh lets say a Ford focus, or a simple car with a good track record, or heaven forbid a used car! There are hundred and hundreds of gently used cars that would have been wonderful. anyway...I lost love for Oprah on that one.

As with many of these things, if its too good to be true, it probably is. Look at the "my favorite things" type shows. Many of those things are expensive, and then folks all want to clamour out and get it simply because Oprah said it was worth it. $120 for a pair of slippers?!

I wish Oprah the best, God Bless her for alot she has done, but she has clearly lost touch with what its like to be poor. She grew up one of the poorest of the poor, but I guess having folks follow you around pampering you all these years makes a girl forget. Those folks wanted a hang up, not a hand out.

azoyizes 09-14-2010 10:09 AM

Thanks for the invite, Koala! :hug: Sadly, I've never been to see an Oprah show. Wouldn't it be something if one of us had been in the audience yesterday and won the trip!

SallyC 09-14-2010 12:25 PM

I think the old gal has lost her mind. I think that she's doing is decadent and cruel to those in real need..:mad:

I so wish I could visit you & DH, Koala. What fun.. :hug:

Kitty 09-14-2010 12:33 PM

She has so much wealth. So much readily available to make a real difference in the lives of real people. For the cost of just one of those trips she could help make life changing things happen for a family who's sole supporter has lost their job, or a family who has medical needs but no insurance. I'd even rather see the money go to no-kill animal shelters to help with the pets people had to give up because they could no longer afford them due to the economy.

Yes, a trip to Australia would be fun but I feel like she is almost "buying" the approval of her fans. Now that I've had time to think it over I'm not impressed with her at all. :(

Kitt 09-14-2010 12:46 PM

I agree with your post Kitty. She could have made a difference in real peoples lives. I'm not a fan of hers anyway.