NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Alzheimer's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/alzheimer-s-disease/)
-   -   neuropsychological exam? (https://www.neurotalk.org/alzheimer-s-disease/132677-neuropsychological-exam.html)

coffeegirl 09-15-2010 05:47 PM

neuropsychological exam?

Did anyone here have this exam when tested for Alzheimers?

Annie59 09-17-2010 10:24 AM

Coffeegirl, I had this exam a year ago. It was very exhausting and hard. It was a long long appointment so be rested and hydrated and even take a snack. I wish I had taken a banana or something. It was most of an afternoon. I have increasing cognitive changes that had gotten worse last summer so I pressed for the test. In the results she insisted my memory actually did better than a test I had in 94 which made little sense to me given how I struggle to find words and things in my apartment. My home aid even notices and calls the worse ones my foggy days.

I do know that I have learned ways to try to remember and I used those. She did say that there is a distinct slowing to my cog function among some other changes. She said it could be due to my neuromuscular disease.

Annie59:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeegirl (Post 695379)
Did anyone here have this exam when tested for Alzheimers?

coffeegirl 10-07-2010 09:46 AM

Annie:

Did they actually ever give you a true dx? When they were suppose to go over the results this week instead they gave me another test that was a verbal quiz. It was hard for me to answer because I had to think and remember things. I wasn't able to remember only 3 physical symptoms that I have neurologically related- and I have an entire page full of them. ugh!!

How are you getting treated right now? What are all of your physical symptoms other than memory loss/cognative function?

Please help. I need to know what to think of all this.

Thank you

Coffeegirl

Wren 10-19-2010 08:02 PM

I've had three neuropsych exams for a brain tumor not Alzheimers.
A "lesion" was seen on my left temporal lobe by MRI - July 28, 2005 .... lots of hospital stuff - MRIs, VEEG, PET and neuropsych exam. Like Annie said - it's a very long and very hard exam.
At the end of that exam the neuropsychologist said that as close as possible to exactly 6 months after my Feb. 14, 2006 surgery, they would do the exam again. The exam was exactly the same one... same questions, same puzzles, etc.
When it turned out I had to have more "brain" surgery in May 2007 .... exactly 6 months later I had my third neuropsych exam.

The fantastic doctor said the exam was given to many, many people - people having all sorts of problems and it told the medical establishment many things they needed to know.